Stabbing knee pain

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am now 4 weeks after TKR. I'm walking without aid, have a bend of 120 degrees and manage stairs fine.

I have two problems though. The first is that I get a stabbing pain in my knee when just sitting. Everything can be fine then out of the blue "ouch" the stabbing pain hits. I find the best way to clear it is to stand and take a short walk.

The second problem is sleeping at night. It's not pain that keeping me awake it's just that I cannot seem to relax into sleep. I will get up, watch an hour of TV, go back to bed and maybe sleep for an hour. Then I'm up again. Dr. gave me some sleeping pills but they seem to have no effect at all.

Anyone else experience these problems?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi john. 

Yes I have the same problem. I think we all do lol. I'm 16 days and slept olny few hrs. I can't get comfey either. 

I also get the Stab pain. But I get spasms. It's all weird.  Hope all is well. 

Glad u can bend and walk steps... Best luck. 

As they told me time healswink

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know you are not the only one with the stabbing pains and sleepless nights. Hope all goes well with your recovery.
    • Posted

Thanks John.   I've been i a mess today. My leg is cramping Badly. I have stab pain across my knee cap. And behind my leg. But it's all been a mess... Pt here yesterday. Ans she had help me make the cramps stop. Was a mess. Today I'm real slow. Ans trying to walk easy.  

I find my knee when I am walking wants to go forward.   

• Posted

Hang in there. 16 days is no time at all. It will get better.
    • Posted

Thanks John.  As I read all the pist of pep getting out and walking makes me jelious. I did go to a party for kids but like kill me 

Ans went to Walmart for Meds and almost was ambushed lol. But I can't wait to ve able to do for my own self. 

• Posted

I had this problem for months until I asked my GP for a muscle relaxant two weeks ago and it's worked a treat. However it is Diazepam he prescribed and I can only have it for three weeks but there are other non-addictive drugs around and I'm seeing him this week to ask him about them. 4 weeks is very early days so I wish you well.
    • Posted

Thanks Diana. It's just reassuring to know you are not the only one with stabbing pains and sleepless nights. Hope your recovery goes well.
  • Posted

John....as you go through this journey you will find many things on your own the docs don't tell you about. There is much hidden scar tissue, cut or damaged scar tissue,.and repairing of muscles that this, unfortunately will be ongoing for some time. If you were like most, you walked with a limp that caused contracting of ligaments and tendons. Theses are all now being stretched back into position while all of the damaged nerves are healing at a very slow rate. Sleeping or not sleeping is one of the greatest complaints of nearly everyone. I have had a tkr, tkr revision and staph plus 6 additional cuttings on the leg. Sleep is the last piece of the puzzle rack time. The only thing I have ever been able to figure out is when the body relaxes the weight shifts to the weakest point and starts affecting the delicate nerve endings. My recliner has been my best friend for years as it allows me to get the pressure off the knee and still sleep.
    • Posted

Sounds as though you have been to hell and back. I think you are right though, it's just a matter of time. Good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

John we have folks from all over the world on this site and each with seemingly different rehab protocols which result on varying recoveries. I am in middle west of the US. I'd be interested in knowing where you are located as you seem to be flying through in comparison to most.
    • Posted

I'm from England. We do however spend a lot of time in the States. Favorite States are Arazona and Nevada. We have been to all fifty but they are the best. The most relaxing place, in my opinion, is Laughlin Nevada. Try it. It's great. The knee op cost me nothing, by the way. God bless the British N.H.S.
    • Posted

My next door neighbors winter in As. They are there through march then head north going from 110° heat to 95°. Our medicare has taken care of all of mine. They have now Invested around $500,000 in mine and I am still in pain and walk with a noticeable limp. But  my case is far different than most as it originated from an incurable begnin tumor that just keep on keeping on. Fortunately I am under the care of a university medical school that has a widely renouned orthopedic dept. They do all the ortho work for our 3 major league sports teams. I am now in year 12 of this crap and it hit me at age 65. Hang in there, things will improve over time. Just give the airport screeners a little extra time as they wave their wands. 
  • Posted

honestly, john, you are doing amazing! i don't think you realize how amazingly you are doing but believe me, from somebody who has been through the grinder for 4 months which included having to have it bent under anesthetic 2 weeks ago, BRAVO!

stabbing pain anywhere in the vicinity of the knee at this stage is perfectly normal. imagine what is going on in there, nerves, ligaments, muscles, skin and flesh all trying to get over a rather traumatic experience. i still have pain after 4 months and am still on a plethora of pills too boot.

sleeping is par for the course though - yoooohooo - i haven't suffered too badly from this. it does get better, 4 weeks is still very early in the process.

hang in there but honestly, you are already there in my eyes!

britta

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear you have had so much trouble. I'll consider myself lucky. It's reassuring to know you are not the only one with the stabbing pains and sleepless nights. All part of the healing process I guess.
  • Posted

I am 6 weeks post op and still get the odd stabbing pain for no reason, just the healing process. I walk unaided now and can do steps. I still don't sleep very well but have managed to sleep in bed for two weeks now instead of the sofa as I can now sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs to cushion the knee. I also take nytol which helps. It's a hard slog but we get there slowly but surely.
    • Posted

What would we do without the sofa Shelley. Glad to hear all is going well with your recovery. I feel better now knowing I'm not the only one with stabbing pains and sleepless nights. All part of the healing process I guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.