stabbing nerve pains on toe nail bed and fingers

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone, me again, can i just ask has anyone had this stinging stabbing nerve shooting pain in the nail bed of the big toe ? and also in the wound area... i am ten weeks post op and apart from the large amount of swelling i still have i am getting this horrible stabbing pains they only last for a couple of seconds but come and go through out the door, and now i have noticed the tips of my fingers feel like it too, it sounds like a nerve thing but its horrible.... has anyone else had this x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had that too Gilliee I think you are right it is the nerves reconnecting and firing it did settle down and disappear. Since my fractured metatarsal it has flared up again but seems to be diminishing as the fracture heals. X

• Posted

hi there, thanks for getting back to me.... ohooo dont we have enough to put up with without the stabbing pains too.... its such a horrible feeling as you know, but hopefully will soon buzz off !!! hope we are all pain free and smiling again soon x
  • Posted

Hi Gillee I haven't had those specific symptoms but mobility of the big toe still quite limited. I do seem to get odd pains and aches all over the foot particularly under the hammer toes that come and go. From what you say it does sound like nerve pain and is probably your body readjusting. Are you able to get about more now? I know you said you are going on holiday soon. You and I are around the same stage in recovery (I am ten weeks tomorrow) and like you I have found these ten weeks some of the most challenging in my life. I think I have allowed the depression to get the better of me so I am trying to be more positive now. How is the swelling on your foot that had the hammer toe surgery. Is it reducing? Mine is ever so slightly and slowly. I am wearing a pair of size 11 trainers (I am usually a size 9 but don't think I will ever be able to return to that size. I am hopeing to manage a 10 eventually) and am trying to walk at least a mile every day. It is hard to manage the decreased energy levels I find as because I have not been active for that period after the op I seem to get tired more easily. I know it has been hard for you Gill as you had both feet done didn't you?. Anyway Keep us all posted on your progress. I was thinking recently that the majority of posts on this site are about bad or difficult experiences. I suppose the people that move on to happier foot problem free times have less interest in posting. Anyway it is good and helpful to compare experiences with others at a similar stage of recovery. I am just praying that in another ten weeks we are all at a much better point in recovery. By the way are your toes any nearer to touching the floor? On the advice of my surgeon I regularly bend the hammer toes downward to try and stretch the tendons so the toes meet the ground. I can feel how the tendons underneath the hammer toes have become ineffective so that at the base of the toes they are going upwards rather than downwards or flat. In my case I can never hope to have normal well alligned toes but what I can hope for is to have an improved and less painful foot. Before I could not wear anything other than a pair of wide foot and deep toe cased boots as anything else caused my hammer toes to rub up against the top of the shoe's toe case causing corns, callouses and sores that were unbearable. I don't know if pulling back the toes and walking counts as physio? Have you been advised to have physio? Sorry for all the questions! John
    • Posted

I am 3 weeks since the bunion removal with 2 screws inserted.  My foot does not hurt, but is still a little swollen.  I get little twinges near the surgical sight.  My big toe doesn't bend down like my other toes, but I think I am getting a little movement.  My skin is peeling near the scabs from the stitches.  Am a little concerned about the hardness to the right of my scar.  I'm going to call the doctor's office tomorrow about the hard area.im going to ask about what kind of lotion to use also.  I have been driving for little over a week now with the flat Velcro shoe.  Then I change into the boot to walk when I am out.  At home I use the flat shoe and walk on my right heel.  Next X-ray and Dr. Visit is in a little less than 2 weeks.  Have not had discomfort since stitches were taken out.  Going up and down stairs is so much easier, although I only do it twice a day.  Went out to lunch with friends today--it was so good to be able to do that. Hoping things will eventually work out easier for you.  Everybody's feet are different.  I thought things would go slower due to my age, 65, but so far so good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.