Stabbing pain after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, well what a difference a few days makes. Im just over 3 weeks post-op and posted a few days ago how good i was feeling, well things have changed a lot since then. Everything was fine i was doing my exercises and walking without much pain but these last two days things have changed dramatically. I can do my exercises without experiencing any more pain than normal but my walking ability has dramatically changed. After a couple of minutes of walking i am getting a stabbing pain in the inner part of my kneecap and its really starting to worry me. I would love to hear your opinions on this i know its early days but i didnt have this pain before which is why im worried. The doctor stopped my ibuprofen a few days ago and i wonder if this could have anything to do with it.

Thanks.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Are you walking with support? Early days, and muscles supporting new

Joint still weak... why did doctor stop the ibuprofen?

• Posted

Hi jenny, im still using 2 crutches all the time even physio told me to make sure i was always supported coz my muscles are weak but its weird that this pain has only started now especially when my walking was so good before. The doctor didnt stop the ibuprofen i was prescribed it for 2 weeks post-op but it wasnt renewed so i think i will get in touch with doc tomorrow and try and get another prescription. Do you think not taking the ibuprofen could cause this pain.

Thanks

• Posted

Yes, I think so. Really noticed the difference when using ibuprofen myself and carried on using it, in much smaller amounts than what was prescribed by the hospital.  Found using it and paracetamol most effective, and did so for around four to five weeks.  Now only occasionally.  No need for prescription as can get 200mg from chemist easily.  My hospital prescription was for 400mg, but I found less effective enough. 
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny, going to take ibuprofen like you said and hopefully it will right itself.

Thanks for your support. Im getting a bit stressed its my mums funeral on Friday and just want to be able to walk with the crutches.

• Posted

You get these aches and pains through recovery it seems. Often no known reason. Unless it does not improve or gets worse, likely to be just a side effect of exercising and healing.

?Ibuprofen pills never helped mine and gave me stomach aches, so stopped it. But I do use the gel as this bypasses the stomach and it seems to take the edge off.

?Very sorry to hear about your mum and fingers xd that you will be fine and manage on your crutches for the service. Don't overdo it the previous day and take your meds x

• Posted

Expect anything for the next few weeks Lisa, odd feelings, pains, aches, swelling. It's early days, everything will knit together and gradually get better.

If you have pain take ibuprofen, if not don't. It's so unpredictable at the stage you are at.

• Posted

Its true you worry about every ache and pain and it came on so quickly it worried me but im going back on tbe ibuprofen and see how it goes.

Thanks this forum is so good for support.

• Posted

I did the same thing. Walking really well and then had this pain while exercising. It tools weeks for it to subside. The doctor wasn't worried at all. He said it's still swollen and angry. In my opinion you still need something for pain. No sense to tough it out. You'll do more harm than good.

I'm at 12 weeks and starting to improve so hang in there.

• Posted

Its good to hear that im probably expecting too much too soon just hope it subsides. I will just have to give it time.

Thanks for the support

• Posted

Perhaps the doctor stopped the iburoprofen because of recent reports suggesting a link between it and heart attack . . .Unfortunately no drug is without its possible side effects.  Hope this pain clears up for you. Perhaps you overdid it a bit?  The recovery is very much two steps forward and one back . . . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.