Stabbing pain by incision (Ankle)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys. Im about 4 keeps post op from ORIF for a trimalleolar ankle fracture and a torn ligament. I fractured it on august 8th and had the sergury on the 10th. Im currently non-weight bearing. My doctor said i have to wait 3 months from the original surgery to have the second one(they are going to remove one screw) and until then im going to be non weight bearing. Has anyone experienced this? I don't want to cause more problems to my ankle but 12 weeks seems like a really long time to hop on one leg. Also for the past 2 weeks ive been experiencing a sharp pain right where my incision is. I feel like something sharp is poking me and I know its not the boot. It feels more internal. Has anyone experienced this? I asked my doctor and she said that my xrays looked good and it was nothing. It happens more often at night and i have a hard time dealing with it and falling asleep unless i take my pain medication. I just want to make sure something bad isn't happening so if any of you have had a similar experience please let me know. Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi Sally,

I had a very similar break that occurred after a fall 2 months ago. All of the surgeons have told me minimum of 12 weeks before any weight bearing. I had several plates and screws to repair three bones and also had tendon repair which became infected two weeks post op- a nightmare for sure. I felt a lot of nerve pain and stabbing pain while wearing a splint.  As time has passed the nerve pain is much better and as the infection has begun clearing the stabbing pain has stopped as well. I'm on antibiotic infusions once daily for a total of 42 days.

Follow your docs advice and take time to heal. It's been a terrible journey for me but is now getting better. I can finally see the light at the end. Good luck to you! 

• Posted

I had the same. Was nerve damage. I felt like I had Tourette's sharp electric sharp jolts from insision site was so painful. Surgeon okyed me to ditch the boot after A week and a half of agony. I'm 5 months on now and site tender but not painful take care and I hope all goes well. 

• Posted

Hi Sally, 

I'm seven weeks tomorrow & that stabbing pain right by my incision is just starting to calm down. It does feel like something is jabbing into you but I think it's the ankle bone recovering from so much trauma. I still have a hard time sleeping at night as I can't find any comfortable position that doesn't hurt my ankle. I'm non weight bearing for another couple of weeks for sure. If my bones show they are fused on my X-rays, I will be able to start partial weight bearing. It's really really hard living on crutches for so long but the most important thing is resting your foot & elevating a lot. I've read a ton of books & keep invisioning the day when I can walk again. Good luck with your recovery. You will be surprised at how quickly time passes. 

• Edited

Stabbing pain is normal .  Rest , elevate!  It will get better!  I've been FWB since Aug. 16th and the pain is horrible!!!! I wish I could fast forward six months!!!!!  I dislocated and had a trimallelor break in right ankle and ORIF surgery June 23.  Plates and screws.  It's a long journey!!!!

• Posted

Hi all... I've broken my 5th metatarsal (the long one from my little toe) and am getting these stabbing pains a lot. it's when I move my foot or body position mainly. I'm 6 weeks in ..not had surgery was just in a cast. As it is slightly displaced I was told it SHOULD heal but may need surgery. I've been reading about non union and am so scared that this stabbing pain is the bones moving about .. meaning that waiting for another 4 weeks (when my next appt is) is going to be pointless as if the bones are moving about it surely won't heal. Does any one have any advice on what these pains are please ? or whether they think that they are the bones moving slightly? thank you in advance...from a very anxious breakee!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.