Stabbing pain in head

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello ladies. I am on day 2 of my period and last night I got this strange stabbing pain on left side of head. almost ear levels but towards the back if you could understand. It came with out warning and its been on and off all night. I could sleep but still felt it. Have any of you ladies experienced this before its literally giving me anxiety. I told my husband could this be a stroke symptom but he thinks it's some kind of headache. It only hurts when the stabbing pain comes along. please anyone who has experienced this or similar advice needed. Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ive had this pain, it's like a burning pain in my head. It can be on the right side too at times, I've been to my doctor many times about this, he gave me tablets for migraine.

It's very scary as I think I'm having a stroke or a ruptured vein in my head. It's been ongoing for a few years now with this perimenopause. Had it on the right side yesterday, then it stopped. Not sure what that is. Hopefully you feel better soon.

Kadija

• Posted

Thank you Karina. I hate that we have to go through these things but it's nice to know your not alone

• Edited

Those are called ice pic headaches / migraines.. I am a migraine sufferer only since peri meno began.. Never before had a migraine in my life.. Now ive experienced every migraine you could imagine.. And that was one of them, the time it happened to me the pain was from top of head deep inside very quick 1 to 3 seconds of extreme stab then gone, it came every 10 min for 12 hours.. Unusual for me as my migraines are pain in temple or above right eye always.. I do experience these ice pic stabbing migraines from time to time but never 12 hours like this one was.. I do not get a period so I have no idea if I'm ovulating at the time of these migraines o r if I'd be having a period if I had a uterus, had a hysterectomy at 27 years old with ovaries left in me.. I'm 49 now so at tge age for menopause.. I do remember writing my periods down at the end of month on calender with ovulation at middle of when I use to get periods before my surgery.. Migraines started for me at 45.. And like I said never had one before.. My neuorologist says to take magnesium could help.. Had MRI showed narrow neck but wouldn't be a cause for migraine whatever that means narrow neck that is.. He says his wife and grown daughters get them and they can be very debilitating.. Wow ya think??? If I were you id go have an MRI if all shows well just get whatever kind of meds they give to keep you comfortable and read up on migraines as there is a lot more to them than just a bad headache far more that we as sufferers had to connect the dots (symptoms) numbness blurry vision weakness in mouth legs arms vomiting nausea confusion vertigo auras all go along with the migraines so be aware of those symptoms too.. Menopause with migraines is a long hard road so make yourself as comfortable as possible , and get to know your triggers to avoid bringing one on as much as possible such as certain foods that can change in a min entering meno could always eat them before but not now , fluorescent lighting especially Wal-Mart and family dollar for me instant migraines with nausea or vomiting feels like I'm having a stroke or epileptic seizure..newer tv's. Tablets computers all triggers for me I must proceed with caution where sunglasses and hats in stores and watching movies and sometime that doesn't always help, put screen protectors on your devices phones ECT.. And of course you can't help but get the monthly ones when estrogen drops during ovulation not much can do about those triggers..

• Posted

Gypsy Thank you so much for the info. I will make an apt with my doctor maybe he will give me referral to neurologist. This was first time for me. Yes as you explained short burst of stabbing pain to say the least I was terrified pit me into anxiety attack. I do always have pain in my neck and shoulder as well. I took some motrin seemed to help it started I would say around 11 last night and even though I could sleep I would get woken when it happened been up since 630. I. 42 and started my journey at 39 even though I am on you get side my grandmother's mother and aunts were pretty much full meno by 45-48. It's a new symptom all the time and I try not to worry but so difficult. And yes I wear sunglasses in Wal-Mart as well lol. The lights make my eyes go Wonky and gives me anxiety. Also I've been having bouts of vertigo latley does this go along with the migraines I wonder. Thank you for taking the time to help so appreciated

• Posted

i have had these also since menapause doctor says its common and hormone related also migraine related as i have migraines occasionally also they are super scary i thought i was having a stroke too my last episode like this was on right aide a ove eye it only lasted about 3 mins i had just strarted eating and broke out into a major hot flash then it was gone menapause is horrible

• Posted

Hi Renee, Ironically I was at my doctors today with this very question. I started these headaches back in December mine was in a different location than yours, mine seems more at the front top of my head and like you it comes in seconds but enough to cause a jolt and you fear the worst. My doctor did some in office testing and doesn't really know the cause but assures me it's not serious but has ordered blood tests for hormones as she said it is a possible connection. I did find once I got a massage on my neck and shoulders it has settled but does seem to return around period. prior to seeing my doctor I did some research and the only thing that I found close to the feeling is an icepick headache and that's exactly what it feels like an ice pick.

• Posted

Hi Taking time. Yes exactly Ive read up on ice pick headaches and it seems that's what it may be and yes my neck and shoulder are awful. Mine is actually at crown of head as well and it comes in short painful burst. It's awful. Sorry you are dealing with the same. It's good to have people to talk to that understand and when the headache started I was on day 2 so I think it's hormonal as well. I'm only 42 and these symptoms are for the birds lol. Let me know how you make out with your blood test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.