Stable dose for 1 month but still have brain fog and increased anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

My PD prescribed me 37.5mg mirtazapine, towards the end of July this year, which I was on for a few weeks. I found it totally intolerable though, and decided to taper down myself.

I probably tapered too fast, and cut 7.5mg per week, until I was on my current dose of 15mg.

I've been on 15mg for one month now. I've felt the withdrawal effects strongly, and they still don't seem to be going away.

I had extreme anxiety last week. Last week, I drunk alcohol a few times, and I had pretty severe brain fog afterwards, which is still continuing.

I've decided to completely avoid alcohol for a while, but I don't know whether to remain at my dose of 15mg or to continue to taper down. Part of me wants to taper until I'm completely off this medication, but I'm worried the withdrawal symptoms will be bad again.

Any advice?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nick,you did cut your dose fairly drastically so that's why you're having the bad withdrawal,s however seeing as you have got this far I think you should stay on 15mg until everything settles down a bit (and it will).in the meantime could you take a diazepam to ease things? Don't try to reduce further at the moment and when you do decide reduce very slowly eg.15mgs 5days a week and 7.5 two days,sort of every second day cutting down slowly,anyway go back to your g.p.and make clear you don't want to take Mirtazapine and instead ask for something different,there are plenty of other antidepressants/anxiety drugs out there,Good Luck!

• Posted

Great, thanks for the reply April. 

I think I'll stick with the 15mg for a while.

Even though I'm from the UK, I'm unfortunately living on the other side of the world at the moment, and the PDs here have a slightly different approach to mental health treatment. 

I'll see if I can request some diazepam though.

Best,

Nick

• Posted

Hi April

From your experience does 7.5 works or 15 is better. Thank you

• Posted

I started on 15 mg for a week. I was anxious and had anxiety just yesterday I went down to 7.5 and I feel so dizzy. Do you feel dizzy. PLEASE let me,know.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Ana,

I haven't been feeling dizzy actually, just a lot of brain fog that's been made worse by drinking alcohol. 

I went to a cafe the other day, and tried to push open a long pane of glass as I thought it was a door. It was pretty embarrassing!

• Posted

Sorry to bug you again. Do you feel anxious or have heart palpitations. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.