Stage 1 COPD,I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS.....DEPRESSED,ANGRY,REGRETS, n Jus feeling like I want more a

Posted , 8 users are following.

I need to get more answers to understand COPD N The Stages n what's going to happen starting w Stage 2 ,What happens from here? Does anybody regret smoking n Does Menthol cig make it worse! Is menthol cigs crystalize The lungs? I'm jus curious to know what's going to happen in each stage?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Charlene, check patient UK info page on COPD concerning stages etc.  https://patient.info/doctor/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-pro

The important thing is to stop smoking if you want to give yourself half a chance on keeping the condition stable or even improving lung function.  With COPD every cigarette you continue to smoke will cause further lung damage whatever you are smoking if you are still smoking that is.

Secondly the other best thing you can do for yourself is ask your GP for a referral to a pulmonary rehabilitation programme.  

If you do not reside in UK check with the lung foundation of the country you are living in. Concerning PR and other support group that may be available in your area.

I was diagnosed with COPD / emphysema over 12 years ago with lung function at 50%.  I stopped smoking within 3 weeks of diagnosis, I did a PR course, I applied all that I learnt on that course to my daily life, I have continued exercising from initially starting the PR course.

The PR course helps you manage your symptoms, makes it easier for you to identify when you have a lung infection and educates the patient on many important things which can result in a future well worth living.

12+ years down the line I last tested at 72% lung function, I am sure I am not the only one who can achieve what I have.  I have remained stable for over 10 years and I have not had a lung infection for over 5 years.

I knew some one who was diagnosed with same lung function percent as myself (50%), the person was younger than myself, the person continued to smoke, their lung function deteriorated year after year, after 5 years lung function was down to 36%, the more the lung deteriorated the more lung infections, the more lung infections the more lung damage and loss of lung function.  After 7 years they were on oxygen, after 8 years lung function was down to 24%, 9 years 21% 10 years 17%, the person died in their 10th year after diagnosis.  That person never stopped smoking.

We all have choices, options, decisions, life adjustments to make, in the early years nothing is easy for any of us, but perseverence and doing those things we learn to identify which help and avoiding those things we learn and know are not helpful can make or break the quality of life those diagnosed will experience.

• Posted

I agree w u,I quit smoking (8 YEARS NOW)after the first dagnosis of COPD,N THEN I was told last year I had EPHESEMA along w chronic Bronchitis,n a spot of Asthma last year,Now the asthma has cleared up n now jus the EPHESEMA n Bronchitis! I'm at 57% as of last week,So u can tell me what am in for?

• Posted

It all depends on you charlene, what actions you take to protect your lungs, avoid infection, know what to do and what not to do, whether you are stable or if you get a lung infection, look after your own health generally, eat the recommended diet, keep the exercise going, basically just learn and apply all that you can about managing the condition.  A PR course will give you all of that information.  That applied will give you a far better chance of remaining stable and improving lung function than disregarding because someone else thought they were ok continuing to smoke and not eating properly for instance (the person I mentioned above did several things that were not helpful to lung health and health generally, but they always said "I do look after myself properly" ) that was not the reality of the situation though and this person attended PR several times after deconditioning but they just did not apply everything advised on the course.

So I would say a lot depends on the individual regarding their overall health and lung health.

Wishing you every success with your own health choices.

Vee

• Posted

No one can answer that Charlene as everyone's experience is different.   I do know you can live with just 6% lung function though in reality most would not survive under about 12/13% as any slight infection could put you in the cut off point. 

I think it obviously is healthy living etc.  which helps you live a longer and healthier life but it's also down to the luck of the draw.  Some people can do all these things and still worsen,  while others won't.  

I know someone on another site who wasn't told for 3 years she had copd and felt ok,  then one day in the office her lips went blue and she was told her lung function was down at 22%.  She was told to stop smoking or she would be dead in 3 months,  if she did they gave her 3 years.  She stopped!   That was 6 years ago now and she is still with us even though her lung function is now down to 13%.  Ok she is virtually housebound and on full time oxygen but still has some quality of life.   She just gets on with it.   Her attitude is positive and she is determined to live as long as possible.  x

• Posted

That's really great in its own way! I'm glad to hear that! Do u know anyone who has lost weight w the EPHESEMA /COPD?

• Posted

I've got the chronic bronchitis form of COPD & have lost 15-18 lbs ,,, more to go.

• Posted

I did it on purpose. A year ago I was "pre-diabetes." Wanting at all costs to get out of anything near diabetes - got enough big chronic diseases, thank you very much - I worked very hard to lose weight. I was out of that category when I lost 10 lbs. Have now lost another 5 - 8 lbs but have been stuck there for months. I know I have to look at it as a plateau from which I'll soon step down, but my goal was to be 10-15 additional lbs. lower by now, another 10 by 1.1.17.

Am 62 & also have some pesky autoimmune diseases, plus a bad accident way back which stopped all my exercise habits of daily walks & daily swimming. Am very thankful that this.summer I've worked my way back up to 2+ miles several times weekly. Haven'twalked that far since 4+ mile walks in 60 minutes pre-accident. Now I've got pneumonia, no idea what that'll do.

• Posted

I'm so sorry about the pneumonia,AT 62 n u lost weight that is great!!!! My sis is 63 n she's been trying for 2 years to lose weight so that's great! Keep up the work n u will get back in the swing once u heal.Don't give up! It's hardest thing to do when ur over 40 without pills,Drugs,surgery n etc But we can do it! I'm still working on mine,so far 7pds in 4 weeks n I'm looking forward to next week to c if I have lost anymore?I will be praying for a fast healing!

• Posted

It is possible to stop the stages by taking care of yourself. Stop smoking and stay away from other smokers. Stay away from dusty places and anything that would be a risk. Eat healthy and exercise. The first thing my consultant said to me when I was diagnosed was " lets see if we can reverse any of this and if not lets get you stable" Stage 1 is possible to stay at stage 1 . Best wishes. AJ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.