Stage 2 CKD indicated? What should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, I hope someone can help.

I recently had a general blood test as I'd been feeling unwell. I have a gluten intolerance and thought that I may have ingested some by mistake.

The doctor looked at my test results and told me there was nothing to worry about. I requested a copy of the results and found the following:

Renal profile 142 (135-145)

Serum Sodium 4.7 (3.5 5.3)

Serum potassium 5.5 (2.5 - 7.5)

Serum urea 93 (62 - 120)

Serum creatinine 93 (62 - 120)

GFR 77ml/min/1.73m^2

STAGE 2: CKD only if other evidence of renal damage

Should I ask for a doctors appointment and perhaps a urine test? Is the GFR result on its own not sufficient reason to investigate further?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer smile


0 likes, 4 replies


4 Replies

  • Posted

    Matt, as it says "CKD only if other evidence of renal damage".  And you haven't got any other evidence of renal damage in that all the renal tests are with perfectly normal range.  If you are very young then your eGFR (kidney function) may be assumed to be a little on the low side but it may just be normal for you.  Just ensure that you have a healthy diet, a healthy amount of exercise, keep blood pressure normal and sugar values normal and your kidney function should remain as good as it is now. biggrin 

    • Posted

      Many thanks Mrs O, I'm undoubtedly young at heart but am also 43 so that may explain it. I think I eat healthily and don't drink but I could certainly do with some more exercise.

      thanks again, I very much appreciate your reply smile

    • Posted

      Well I consider 43 as young, probably because I have a son of 43!  If your GP checks your eGFR in a few months time and the reading is the same, then, although I'm not a doctor, I feel sure that you have nothing to worry about kidney-wise.  I have plenty of experience with all things "kidney", having had only one since childhood.  So, just to repeat, ask your GP to check the function in a few months time just to ensure that it is stable at that reading.   All the best. 

    • Posted

      I'll be sure to do that. I leave this thread feeling reassured and a little younger too! Thanks once again, matt


Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up