Stage 2 Emphysema........

Posted , 9 users are following.

I read online people live for 5 years with copd but my mom and aunt have had it 10 years they both are in stage 3 uncle stage 4 maybe 3 years to live... I would like to know how many of you out there have emphysema and for how logn what stage how fast it progresses etc PLEASE bI have stage 2

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cindymarie , I have had emphysema for 11 yrs now, in my area the stages are mild moderate and severe, I am severe. I'm on oxygen 24/7 and at present I'm very breathless. I can do very little but I don't feel like I'm at the end of my life at least I hope not. Warm regards Julia 
    • Posted

I would say about 3 yrs although my breathing has gotten worse over the last few months. I stopped smoking years ago but I did smoke for about 2 yrs after I was diagnosed which was very stupid I should have stopped sooner. Please stop smoking, why June 22nd? My partner son and 2 in laws have all stopped smoking using vapour cigs what you put liquid into they've all found them to be really helpful. Take care Julia
    • Posted

I bought a vapor pen and im waiting til June 22 cause Ill be back from visiting the family and they all smoke.......Thank you for answering
  • Posted

A good doctor told me no one can predict how long a life you can have with COPD  keep as active as you can, lots of people have had it for years and years.  good luck 
  • Posted

Hi stop reading rubbish online!   Stick to recognised sites only and they won't publish scare stories like that. 

Unless you are very unlucky emphysema doesn't generally progress quickly but is a slow process taking many years.   With a healthy lifestyle,  taking your meds and not smoking you will live for many years yet.  

To give you an example I was diagnosed with stage 1 copd 6 years ago (I am now 61)  and despite still smoking my lung function hasn't decreased since then.  I am working on giving up very soon though...

You don't say your age but my doctor said to me don't worry too much about it as old age will probably get me first!   Unless you want to live to 100 that is smile 

Learn to take your lungs very seriously and if you think you have an exacerbation (worsening of your symptoms) seek immediate help as these can further your lungs. 

Apart from that live your life and enjoy it,  and try not to worry too much.  x

• Posted

Wow thank you hypercat. I just turned 50 and yeah the stuff online i read scared me thats why I wanted to ask in this forum.Thank you so much im stage 2 and still smoke going to quit. best of luck to you also.

Cindy

• Posted

Ha ha you are welcome Cindy smile  It's always a shock to get a chronic illness diagnosis so I quite understand (we all do) how you are feeling.   I just live my life a little bit slower than others and my biggest hate is friends who walk faster than me and don't wait for me!   Or who say it is not very far but they don't mention the big hill or steps smile 

Take care.  bev xx

• Posted

Oh I hear ya!!

So it is safe to say i will live my life ok as long as i quit smoking.frown....... They say the emphysema gets worse over time so I was askign how much time but im ok with answer i got sort of. Thankscheesygrin

• Posted

How long is a piece of string Cindy?   No one can say for sure but the odds are very much in your favour that you still have a long life ahead of you.  I sure don't plan on going anywhere for a long time yet smile   

Emphysema is a progressive disease which is different for everyone but generally it doesn't progress that fast if you lead a healthy lifestyle and you might not deteriorate much at all for many years yet.   There are lots of folk on here who are severe and very severe but still have quality of life.  Bev x

• Posted

Hey,

Sorry to hear your troubles, type in ( copd nutrion facts ) into Youtube there's a few interesting studies he's posted, you can actually improve the lung function with fruits/vegtables. Maybe you could go on a raw vegan diet ? exercise ? pretty sure that would beat it smile 

• Posted

Thank you Dane i will check that out. My grandfather had to so bad that at the end he would eat all dif fruits and stuff trying to get oxygen. I dont wish to get to that point. Im wondering how long have u had the disease? or do you. I was just told i had emphysema stage 2
    • Posted

Hey Cindy, 

Its definitely worth looking into, he only mentions having a few servings of fruit a day in that study, imagine if you had 20 servings a day !!! which is what a lot of people do, top athletes/people with chronic health problems etc. I don't have the disease but I lost my grandfather to it as well, so I've seen the damage it can cause sadly, would be interesting to see if you could get a complete reversal with a high fruit/raw vegan diet with exercise. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for this I have typed that in and was amazed that fruit n veg can make so much difference x
    • Posted

There is this too from my health board.

"There is extensive evidence from studies over the last 10 to 15 years that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables is beneficial to lung health," said Carol Trenga, Ph.D., Research Scientist in the Department of Environmental Health at the University of Washington in Seattle, who moderated a press panel on diet and lung health. "The most compelling evidence is linked to fruits high in vitamin C, which are associated with improved lung function in the general population of adults and children."

Fruits and Vegetables Can Reduce COPD Risk in Smokers

Eating moderate portions of fruit and vegetables can reduce the risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in smokers, according to a study presented at the American Thoracic Society conference.

The study found that eating one-and-a-half pieces of fruit or a large tablespoonful of vegetables every day can protect against COPD (emphysema and chronic bronchitis).

• Posted

Thanks again Dane you have extended my husbands life  all this information is great I am so grateful xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.