Stage 2 Emphysema

Posted , 7 users are following.

How long does the ave person live with emphysema I plan to stop smoking right away

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I believe it is possible to live a full life. But you MUST stop smoking. Then take care of your health with good food, vitamins and exercise.
    • Posted

Thank you my mom and aunt are stage 3

uncle stage 4 uncle has 3 years to live.

Mom and aunt maybe 8 they all smoke.

This is why I asked I plan to stop smoking June 22nd.

• Posted

Hi Cindymarie50

I dont know where you have got your precise information from,as to the life expectancy of your family members. From my research no knowledgable Dr will give a precise time limit on life expectancy for COPD,e.g. I was given 3 years to live in Thailand,and 6 years later I am still here. Everyone is not the same! and the variables are too many to be accurate!

• Posted

I don't think anyone could give you anything approaching a definite answer about that, cindymarie, but stopping smoking immediately is the best thing you can do to slow down the progression of the disease.   You also need to stay away from other people's cigarette smoke and of course from all other pollutants if possible.

I know of people who've lived for 20 years after diagnosis, others diagnosed at later stages who kept smoking and died much sooner than that.

I strongly recommend you attend a pulmonary rehab group and learn breathing exercises and other ways to manage the condition.

• Posted

And to you Cindymarie!  I forgot to mention that one of the most important things I learned at rehab was that there's no point in trying to "soldier on" with COPD because you just get more breathless and take longer to recover:  I learned to guage when to stop whatever I'm doing when I start to get breathless and use the breathing techniques I was taught, which is primarily don't do deep breaths into the top of your chest, take shallower inbreaths lower down around your waist and breath out as deeply as you can.  This is something to do with the fact that with emphysema the carbon dioxide gets trapped in the avioli.

• Posted

And then what?  When the carbon dioxide gets trapped?  The past week

or so, my chest has felt really tight and I'm not coughing up any phlegm.

How can I get rid of it?  No one to pound on my chest or back.  Except

me of cours  The phlegm that does come up

is white and kind of compact, for want of a better descripton!

• Posted

Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm relying onmy memory of something I was told by the pulmonary physio in rehab last year.but certainly my recollection is that it's not a good thing for your lungs to retain carbon dioxide so that less you can cause this to happen the better.

Sorry to be so vague.   White plegm is fairly normal I think, it's when it changes to yellow or green or blood flecked that there's a real problem you need to have investigaged.

Other people at the rehab group I went to had this problem and the physio's taught them some specific techniques, but it wasn't a problem I had so I didn't take any notice, sorry.

• Posted

Evening terri69807 !

jusst thought you would like to know I get the same type of phlegm clumpy & a bit of a a fur like texture the only way I can describe the consistancy of it I have also looked it up online on goole chrome whether true or not I read that it's normal to get this type of phlegm with having copd but keep a watch on it like if it's becoming hard to cough up & get it up or making breathing more differcult or as jude has mentioned when it changes yellow or green & any other unusual colour brown & pink or blood stained if in doubt don't hesitate please get it checked, I've only just got over from having another chest infection it turned from the white clumpy phlegm to a horrible pus like colour & also had a chest x-ray that kind of confuses me the results say it looks like I have or had an infection but is clearing up I only had the x-ray on Tuesday this week & was with the doctor on the Wednesday that was fast, i don't understand it either is an infection or it isn't & have to go back to see the doctor tommorow so he can check me again I developed the infection after a nasty bout of hayfever does any of you on here suffer from hayfever & has it caused you any problems with your copd? I seam to be better still have a bit of phlegm but can't hear anymore wheezing or crackling!confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.