Stage 2 kidney disease and losing too much weight

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve lost over 15 lbs and I’m a border line diabetic, every time I try to increase my calories with rice or bread I end up urinating every two hours at night , I don’t know what to do

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I’m now in stage five end stage kidney disease.  Rest assured you are a long way from that yet and you sound stable. 

In kidney disease weight loss is not uncommon but great weight loss is. My own weight went from 121kilos to approx 76kgs (1kg is 2.2lbs (British)).

Increasing calories via bread, I think, is not a cause of increased urination although rice, cooked, would absorb addition water but again not sure it’s a cause. 

Before reducing your intake of fluid check with your doctor. Stage two is very early kidney malfunction. You need to check with your GP/Doctor for any underlying cause of kidney disease and your increased peeing. 

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you queen you’ve made me feel better and more confident about my diet , you enjoy the rest of your wonderful day
  • Posted

Ed, I'm a type II diabetic with Stage IV chronic kidney disease. How is your A1C? Do you experience glucose spikes either during the day or at night? (I'm wondering if your weight loss and/or frequent urination at night are more closely tided to your diabetes.

id definitely echo what you're hearing from others though; you really should talk with your physician(s) about your symptoms. 

Marj

• Posted

Hi , my A1C is 5.8 one point high and I don’t know what a insulin spike feels like , my red blood cells are a couple of points low and my protein is a couple low , so you think it’s diabetes, it wouldn’t be high if I wasn’t trying to keep my weight up thank you please help me with more input my gfr is 70 as of June this year
    • Posted

Your eGFR is still in very good range. I'm not sure about your A1C. But if it were me I'd ask my doctor about both my renal function and my A1C as possible factors related to the symptoms you are experiencing.

My A1C is 4.9 to 5.1 consistently with any medication. of mine elevates above 5.6 I experience some glucose spikes. I become light headed--dizzy. I get very weak. I feel hot and my skin feels sweaty and clammy. I definitely feel as though I might faint and my I my stomach is queasy. I can also have problems with dishrag and excessive fluid elimination when my A1C is in that rage. These symptoms occur within 30-45 minutes of eating. When I check my glucose 2 hours after eating the meal (when I'm experiencing these symptoms), my glucose will be 20-30 points higher than typical for me 2 hours after eating.

I haven't experienced this often--only about 7-8 times total over the past 7 1/2 years since I was diagnosed with the diabetes. My endocrinologist tells me that each individual experiences somewhat individual symptoms when experiencing these glucose spikes. And some people have quite a problem with them even at night more than 2 hours after their last meal.

As I read your symptom description I wondered if there was a diabetes issue wither independently or in conjunction with a renal issue.

But I'm not a physician so I'd just suggest that you talk with your doctor about the role your diabetes is playing with your renal function as well as whether it could be a part of the causal factor gir your symptoms.

I'm pretty fortunate in that I truly do not struggle with my diabetic condition or its management. Most are nowhere nearly as fortunate as I am with that issue. 

I hope your doctor's are able to determine what's causing your deterioration in your renal function. And, it may be critical for them to determine what role, if any, your diabetes has played in the decrease in your renal function.

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.