Stage 3 kidney disease

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suffered kidney failure due to blood loss over 22 years ago, I now have stage 3a ckd. I'm forever getting viral infections. Is there anybody else with stage 3 ckd the same

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm stage 3 GFR 50/55. I don't get viral infections but do have a folate defiency and very high BP and Angina as a result, i take medication for both of these conditions.

• Posted

Hi Richard, thanks for replying.

I'm so prone to infection and was just wondering if its got something to do with my immune system. Ive got rhe docs next week so going to be asking for a few checks to be done.

• Posted

Marian, I am at CKD Stage 3b, eGFR 38 and have not experienced viral infections.....until the last 5 months, during which I have had 3 chest infections and, unusually for me, 2 UTIs,plus another very serious infection which hospitalised me due to a GP leaving me on a particular antibiotic for too long for the first UTI (according to the first Dr I saw on arrival in A&E)!

One reason I suspect for the repeated chest infections was a Vit D deficiency. On the advice of my renal consultant, I take a 3 month course of Vit D3 during the winter but this winter I didn't start it unti late December. When I suspected a deficiency I asked the surgery if I could have a Vit D blood test and this was done 5 weeks into my 3 month supplement. The result was low at 45 (normal is between 75 and 150) so I guess that prior to starting the course it was much lower.

If you haven 't had a Vit D blood test then do ask for one. Deficiency can lead to all sorts is problems including reduced immunity to infections.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, its full of information for me. These viral infections Im taking all go to my chest and take the feet right from me, Ive got one at the moment. I feel that the doctors at my clinic dont take much notice of the fact that Ive got kidney problems. Think I need to remind them that my kidneys have failed in the past and that they are scarred.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.