Stage 3a

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am 57 yr old female with Type 2 Diabetes, and coronary artery disease. My eGFR at last test was 51. 

I am am having a hard time coping and worry about possible dialysis. 

My my question is this: can you make the numbers better?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am stage 3 with gfr of 49, I believe dialysis isn't needed until You have around 85/90 % Loss of function so maybe a rate of 15..... but that's my understanding and I may be wrong.... I also believe you can eat a diet that suits kidneys, my own numbers did improve once, just because your numbers may not be perfect doesn't mean you will definitely need dialysis everyone is different some rates improve maybe because the lab test was out a little on last test, some stay the same some go down so you shouldn't worry about what 'might be' too much and look after yourself now maintaining a healthy lifestyle as best you can. Speak to your GP about your concerns he will know more about your situation I don't have diabetes or coronary disease.
  • Posted

Hello. My son has been in stage 3 for five years now. We started

him on a pre dialysis diet and it has helped him greatly. His

nephrologist set us up with a dietician. She really helped

us understand which foods would benefit him and which foods

to avoid. His numbers actually improved after starting the diet.

• Posted

Really pleased you are seeing results for your efforts long may you do so 😊 Diet can and does play a part yet I for one have never had any instruction for this I have had to find things out myself so I can understand people being a bit bewildered by it all. Thank you for your positive input.
    • Posted

What good news that a diet has helped your son.  Just this week my GP told me that if I avoided protein for 12 hours before my next blood test it might give a better result.  However, I hadn't eaten protein for more than 12 hours before the last blood test so we've ruled out  trialling that.

I would be very grateful to hear what the dietician recommended for your son which has improved his numbers.  Long may he continue to do well - one thing when us older people have problems but so unfair in youngsters.  I spent the first 12 years of my life being ill until they discovered the problem lay with a kidney which they then removed and I have been incredibly lucky for very many years.  Need a magic wand now though! 

• Posted

From what I understand each person with ckd is a little different.  So the dietician takes your blood work and creates an individualized meal plan for you.  For example, my son has a build up of potassium in his blood so he can't eat anything high in potassium.  His ckd has caused him to have parathyroid issues and there are certain foods that he avoids due to that as well.  So mainly he avoids high potassium and high phosphous foods.  Do you have to avoid potassium?  If you do, I can give you a list of los potassium foods.  Just let me know.  Also, I took it a step further and took him off of as many processed foods as I could.  Lowered his salt intake drastically.  I also started buying as many organic fruits and veggies as I could afford to. Also, Protein is hard on your kidney so reducing that on a regular basis is also good.  Hope this helps smile
    • Posted

Oh yes that is so helpful, Elenna - thank you.  In fact, I was doing a bit of online research last night and found the very reliable Mayo Clinic recommended low phosphorus/low protein diet  for CKD.  

Yes, I agree that each person with CKD could need a different diet approach, I suppose depending on the cause of their particular CKD.

At the moment, I am lucky in that apart from my creatinine and eGFR, all other bloods are normal, or were until I started all the different BP meds, with some being stopped because they adversely affected my urea, potassium and sodium levels.

I have always tried to avoid as many processed foods as possible, and those containing salt.  We, too, try to eat as much organic food as possible - expensive but if it helps we think it's worth it.  Although meat is high protein, we do stretch our Sunday joint (chicken every other week, with lamb and beef inbetween) making it last for about three days,by mincing the cold meats and making it into things like Shepherds Pie, Lasagne, Bolognaise, risotto, etc so not too much meat at any one serving.

What did surprise me when doing the research last night was how many foods I eat on a regular basis that are high in the unwanted phosphorus, such as salmon, mackerel, non-fat yoghurt, hard cheese, wholemeal bread - wow, I shall be wondering just what to eat!

You obviously do the very best for your son diet-wise, and I do hope he will continue to thrive on it. 

• Posted

Davita com has a ton of recipes for people with kidney disease.  They also answer dietary questions smile  I think the renal diet is very complicated but if you keep researching and learning about food, it becomes easier to understand.  I know that diet does not cure kidney disease but I feel that it really does help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.