stairs

Posted , 12 users are following.

Just wondering does anyone else have this problem.  When I go down the staris  I freeze. My body doesnt want to go down with the good leg. The operated knee is just stiff and will not bend going down but I can go up with ease.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have this problem , I'm 5 months post TKR and had manipulation on the 27th March, my knee tends to go from under me a lot especially when I've sat for long periods of time and go to get up, so I'm really worried about stairs I'm still going up 1 at a time , when I try with my bad knee it terrifies me putting the pressure on it I feel it's going to go from under me. My knee is also very stiff, which I was hoping it would have gone by know xx

• Posted

You had the manipulation at 5 months post op? Why did you have it? Was your knee not bending?
    • Posted

I had the manipulation at 3 months post op and only bending to about 60 degrees x
    • Posted

Is it bending good now and was it painful?  I'm at 95 but cant get it to go any father for the past 4 weeks.

• Posted

I was like that at first, with me I was nervous as before my knee op I fell down the stairs. I try to walk down the stairs “properly” now , instead of one step at a time. Good luck when your confidence returns you will be able come down the stairs normally.
  • Posted

Hi! I don't know how far out you are from surgery but I am basically 10 mos out and still struggle going down the stairs. I can do it but it's now easy. 

• Posted

I had both knees done last year. I live in an old house with steep steps, so I still go up and down one leg leading the whole way. Easier going down than up. I have caught myself going correctly now and then on newer stairs. When I go up, I lean forward in case I fall so I will go own on my stomach and not head first. I am a chicken though
  • Posted

This has been a very controversial post since a lot of people were taught the way I was in PT but an equally large number of people seem to have been taught the complete opposite...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

Have no idea why as it seems that the division is not by country.  For me, this method worked great.  At 14 months, I was going up stairs two at a time without holding onto anything!  Stairs are completely normal for me now, like the op never happened.  However...

There are three preconditions to this...

1. You should already have your ROM at least up to 0 / +120.  That will allow your knee to bend properly during the ascending and descending phases.  I don't know what the minimum ROM is for doing stairs naturally...ask your PT.

2. Most people need to be significantly post-op so that the initial major stiffness is not an issue.  Stiffness takes time and work to alleviate...it doesn't go away overnight.  Most people find it to be a non-issue by their one-year anniversary but some may linger after that time.  Need to keep the knee active.

3. You should be in the the process of completing or have already completed the mandatory muscle rebuild after the ROM work is done.  Doing stairs takes strength in your quads, glutes and core, all of which have atrophied over time.  All of this supporting musculature has to be rebuilt in order to walk correctly, regain your balance and master stairs.

"Mastering stairs" is defined as walking up and down the stairs with alternating legs while holding on to absolutely nothing...like a normal person.  If you cannot do this, it should tell you that you have not regained the strength and/or ROM you need to handle stairs...yet.  The good news is that if you do the muscle rebuild and follow my PT's method or the reverse, you can have stairs under your belt within a few months.  This takes time and work...there is no substitute for the work...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Gotta get them quads back!!!

• Posted

hi linda

i just u wks pistvop 5th tkr left leg had lots complicstions and hsve knee used for cancer patients. i have been told that i wont be able to lead with left leg on stairs again. this is major issue for me as my right knee needs s revison and need new hip.

• Posted

I am not good going down still after 6 mths have to hold rail , don’t feel safe 
    • Posted

It's early.  Stairs are the last thing to master in a TKR recovery.  Read my post above.  You feel unsafe because you are unsafe...and that's because you haven't rebuilt the strength in the musculature that supports the knee and gives you your balance back.  Don't beat yourself up over this.  It takes time, work and patience.

• Posted

Thanks I guess I’m just impatient. It’s been a 9 weeks so I guess I have a way to go. My guads are not strong. Still very weak. I will just keep trying. 
    • Posted

due to msny complications i not been abke to use left leg to lead upstairs for. 3yrs. leg been in brace for2 of those. had various pple tell me its physicslly imposdible.its sll been complicated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.