Stairs After L4. L5. S1 fusion

Posted , 9 users are following.

I live in a 3 story house. Are stairs impossible after a spinal fusion

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi bethel

Stairs are not impossible I live in a 2 story house, but do take your time and done over stretch, I found coming down harder but I used a crutch for the first few weeks to help with balance.

Good luck with recovery, take little strides and don't push yourself to hard, everyone recovers in there own time but it is a long process.

Regards

George

• Posted

No problem, as I say take it easy and don't beat yourself up if you find things hard.

I have seen of lot of post on here and like many I was surprised how little information and help I got from the surgeon, I was told I would be fine after a few weeks but realistically it can be 18-24 months. If you ever have any worries or questions reach out to us in here, so many people gone through the same issues and so many can give good advice on what's normal and what might not be.

Speedy and happy recovery.

George :-)

• Posted

How long ago did you have the spinal fusion?  I had L4 L5 spinal fusion in Nov 2015 & it took about 6 months before I could comfortably walk up & down the stairs...

• Posted

Bethel0623,

Just be careful, stairs were a big task for me. But everyone is different from surgery to surgery, I had bad nerve damage so it took me a lot longer to figure out what was the best was to do stairs, at one point I would scoot up and down til I was comfortable enough to do stairs, just don't push yourself and take your time walking up n down, you don't want to over stretch as someone said.always use handrails and if you have to use a cane, best of luck and a speedy recovery coming your way!!

Cynthia (Cindy)

• Posted

Thank you. My house is going to be a tough situation. First floor is entrance, 2nd floor is living & kitchen, 3rd floor is bedrooms & bathrooms. Ugh

• Posted

Hi bethel0622,

I wasn't allowed home from hospital until I could do stairs in the hospital physio department. I was nervous once I was home but it was fine just going slowly & one step at a time. I was told not to use the crutches on the stairs though & i had a 2nd banister rail fitted to help steady myself.

I found I couldn't sit for long or lie down for long comfortably for about 2 months so was always up & downstairs often during the daytime testing & sitting.

I'm sure it will be fine for you as long as you take care.

Best wishes.

Tracey

• Posted

Thank you so much. Im going to tell the Dr about my stairs during my pre op on Wed
  • Posted

I'm on day 3 after multilevel spinal fusion & removal of synovial cyst. While in surgery they found a large hole in my spinal cord leaking spinal fluid. All caused by one or more of my several failed spinal injections for pain relief. No wonder I was getting chronic migraines. I'm doing fantastic and have regained 100% of feeling in my legs. My pain level was about an 8 right after surgery but soon after getting stronger pain meds my pain level is about a 3. Not a bad recovery at all!

I'll check back in 3 months from now.

• Posted

Hi I'm 17 due to have spinal fusion surgery how long does it take for recovery doctor said upto 6 months

• Posted

hi, have you had your surgery? how did it go? hope it's been a success!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.