Stairs and activities after op!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey dolls!! So I had surgery 6 days ago and I'm able to get up on my own from bed and walk around , however I'm on the second floor . When is it ok to go down th stairs ?! I had key hole btw and my lower incision is about 3 cm if that . Thanks in advance smile

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I was up day after op but not for long,just short stretches, they gave me a leaflet of dos and don'ts when I came home and it said going up and down stairs was ok
  • Posted

I too was told that going up and down stairs was OK. It's lifting things that you have to avoid.
  • Posted

Hi Maria,

It is also my 6th day after my key hole surgery from removal of right ovary and fallopian tube. I slowly walked up an down the stairs on my day 1 and on my day 4 i was better. This varies from each individual but try the stairs slowly,and the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Myfairlady

• Posted

Hi!! Thank you so much . I have just been scared because I also had my left ovary removed! My incisions look great no sign or infection thank god so my next step was the stairs . How have you been feeling over all ?
  • Posted

Hi Maria,

I was in hospital 4 days because I had an abdominal hysterectomy with metal clips but I started using the stairs on the 4th day as my bedroom is upstairs. I had no problems going up or down so you should be ok smile

• Posted

Hi maria2990,

Overall i feel good today day 6. I had a short walk with my dogs this morning. I am eating ok. The small incisions in my abdomen start to get itchy, bruises slowly fading. i still feel some pain on the umbilical area but it did not require me to take pain killers. actually I havent taken as pain killer today, just realized that now. I avoid lifting and any other activities that require the use of abdominal muscles. I am off work for 4 weeks. i am sure you will be ok.. i am sure you will.

Myfairlady

• Posted

Yeah my incisions are also itchy!! Which is a good sign so we are both off to a great recovery! I also haven't taken any pain medicines if anything I'll take ibuprofen not in need or anything stronger pain is not an issue. I just fun it hard to sleep at night . Any recommendation ?
  • Posted

Hey girl.

Hope you are still doing well. I had a partial hysterectomy back in 08 and just had my left ovary and both tubes. So this is familiar stuff. Take it slow and easy but do those stairs. I have a 2 story. What I learned is to not walk up like you normally would. Step together step. Same foot first every time worked for me. But the more you do the better it is for the "gas" bubble. I had the bubble right off the first time. AND IT HURTS. But this time around I didn't get it till day 3. I thought, hot dang, I lucked out this time. WRONG. Third day I looked like Pillsberry dough girl! But walking is the best way to get rid of it.

Good luck love and I hope this helps😌

• Posted

Hey girl thanks for writting! I'm now in day 12 and can actually go up and down the stairs . I'm still feeling soreness and discomfort , no gas or anything just on the incision is that normal ? I have my check up in 2 days so I'm hopeing eventhing is fine. When were you able to drive ?
    • Posted

Hey honey. I am so happy you are doing better. And yes driving was a b!!!!!

I have a 6 speed so I wasn't driving for a while.

Your insision will be tender for some time. My first one was like that for about 3 months. My Dr explained it like this, you have basically stab wounds so expect to be tender. I have the best Dr in the Dfw area. So down to earth and so caring. I can always call him and his nurse, they always are there for me.

Just take it slow and you will be as good as new.

If you have any thing else, just ask😉

• Posted

Oh ok !! Glad to hear that's normal love!! I was beggining to worry . Sleeping on my side is also so hard ! It starts hurting!! I wonder when am able to drive . Mines automatic and its a good size car to where I don't have to bend down super much .
    • Posted

The key is moderation. If your not a full 2 weeks, you really are doing fine. But you can do small stretches. Drive around the block. Later drive around a few times. Or drive up to your favorite breakfast place for coffee or a coke. The little steps help. A lot.

Sleeping on your side is the same. Do a few mins. Then a few hours. Just build yourself up. If you can lay on your sofa when you watch tv, try that. It will keep your mind occupied but building up your endurance.

But try not to be so hard on your self love! You had some major stuff just happen. Two weeks to have organs removed and your walking around. You are doing great!!!! Keep up the good jod and stay positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.