Stairs or single level home?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Thinking about the future and whether it is better to have a home with stairs upto bed or to have everything on the same floor level?

Those 13steps up stairs can be really difficult (I definately know my stairs carpet well as sometimes I have to crawl / drag myself up them).  Even if I am at my best my knees hurt when I get to the top. 

So is it better to think next property needs to be on one level to avoid the stairs pain?  Is it better to keep a staircase because it's exercise?

- thank you to those who previously answered this question when it was titled bungalow. As a bungalow means different things depending which country you are in I have reworded it as single levelwink.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I think better to exercise outside on a flat level than dragging yourself up stairs.I try to avoid stairs at all times as the going up wears me out but I can walk on the flat level.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I can definately manage easier on a single level. But don't want to make a long term mistake.
  • Posted

Very difficult question to answer. My husband and I worked closely with an architect 20 years ago to design our multi-level home. Yes, the stairs are sometimes difficult for me, but on the other hand, I can feel many muscle groups working whenever I use the stairs. 
    • Posted

The muscles working for stairs is the difficult part to whether a single level is the way to go? I have Fibromyalgia and the ME.  The Fibro side needs me to keep pushing. I could design a muli-level single storey with a higher level up maybe 5 steps?  Although that will always give me 5 steps to fight on bad days - though not nearly as bad as 13 steps! I work from home and my office is upstairs so I don't just fight the 13 steps to go to the bedroom. UUmmm
  • Posted

I would say go for the same floor - much better for you energy wise and also you can apply for a home improvement grant. It will also help if you're thinking fo getting a helpful mobility scooter as you can get it in the house (I'd love a mobility scooter but cant get it up my 2 flights of stairs and its not safe to leave outside). Hope that helps xx
    • Posted

My mobility scooter does make a huge difference outside (I keep it in the boot of my car all the time.  Had to get a bigger car to take the scooter and everything else!  I have heard mobility scooters can be stolen for their scrap value (greatrolleyes)x
  • Posted

I've been wanting a bungalow for years for the same reason!  Trying to sell, but market is very slow.  For one thing you can keep everything in its place, my dining room has turned into a dumping ground waiting for Hubby to take stuff up stairs!!

We used to live in a bungalow years ago, so I now it would be better at lest for me anyway. Good Luck.

• Posted

Made me smile regarding your Dining rm. Interesting that you've tried both options and find the single level much better. Good luck at selling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.