Standing for the first time

Posted , 5 users are following.

I will be 6 weeks post op for ORIF of my ankle on Friday. I had 3 bones broken and a dislocated ankle from a fall. I go to see my surgeon on Friday again as well. I've been in the boot since week 2 and started physio for range of motion in week 3, and my range of motion is almost back to normal now but I've been NWB. I have no pain and haven't since week 2. I really want to try standing. I don't even wear the boot anymore unless I'm going out and even then I take it off when I get where I'm going. Has anyone ever tried standing before they get the go ahead at the 6 week check? I'm dying to just do it...do you think it's a bad idea to just stand up or should I wait?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi melissa, sounds as if your doing great. I had a fall 18 weeks ago,  smashed both sides of my ankle,  plate and screws each side. I was in 3 different casts then a boot. Ive been weight bareing since coming out of the boot and only this past week and half ive been able to walk without aids around the house and garden. Still get a lot of pain so for you to be pain free is great. Lucky you..... I wouldnt do anything until your surgeon gives you the ok, as you dont want to do any damage. At my 6weeks check I was still in cast, so things so different for me. Friday isnt too long to wait to get your answers.  Good luck  sx  biggrin
  • Posted

Hello Melissa , I'm 4 weeks since surgery and I'm presently in a hard cast for one week then I transition to the boot 8/21/17. The doctor told me that I should be doing wb not sure how much, I also broke my ankle in 3 places. My question to you is how was the physical therapy for the range of motion because I start that next week also!!!! 

• Posted

Hi Kenneth,

I personally love physio. My ankle feels so good afterward and all the stretching feels amazing. I don't have any pain and I'm excited to start weight bearing. I can only assume that if my bon3s weren't healing I'd have more pain. My physiotherapist said he would definitely clear me to weight bear but we need to wait until my appointment. The first physio appointment I was more nervous than anything. Movement comes back pretty quick and if you do your exercises at home youll find the ROM returns very quickly!!!

• Posted

Tks I wasn't sure on what to expect, you helped me a lot ... can't wait to get this cast off and get this part behind me. 

• Posted

Mellisa,

I know about the temptation to want to stand on both feet to see what it's like. I foolishly did that very briefly-- that was after my fracture but before I got my CAM boot (no surgery, no cast). It felt normal with no pain. It didn't seem make my fracture displacement any worse in the long run, but I sure would advise against the temptation to see 'what it feels like' before being cleared for WB, boot or no boot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.