Standing too long

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I'm 5 weeks TKR, thought I'd be a good wife and make hubby some cookies. What an ordeal!  Think I was standing in almost the same spot for too long and my knee is hurting bad. Resting now with leg elevated and ice, anyone else have a simular experience?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No I never make cookies!!! Seriously though I do find if I stand for too long my knee can be quite painful but I usually do a few bending exercises after and then it's not so bad. 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪
    • Posted

Glad it made you smile!!! Best advice I can give is don't make the cookies buy them from a store and pretend you cooked them!! Good wife and no pain in your knee!! Win/win!! 😉
  • Posted

standing still is my worst scenario!  I can walk a couple of miles, sit comfortably, great lying down. . but standing still everything hurts . . feet, back, hips and  . . . of course. . .the knee!  Queueing for anything is a trial!

• Posted

I can walk, although not a couple of miles like you,  I find if i sit to long my knee tightens up on me, but standing is the worst
    • Posted

if I sit my knee tightens up but I am fine standing and reasonable at walking but not ac ouple of miles! 
  • Posted

Without a doubt you'll feel the extra pain. You are putting your weight on all of that damaged tissue as well as the bones that have been badly abused. This probably won't be the last time you'll stir up things on your way to recovery.
    • Posted

The road to recovery has certainly "stirred things up" for me!
  • Posted

Well at least you bought yourself a chance to make your husband feel guilty, on demand. When needed all you have to do is remind him of the pain you went through just trying to make him happy. Should be worth a box of chocolates and if worked real hard, flowers and a bottle of wine
  • Posted

Yes - and it can be quite dangerous to stand for too long. Use a tall stool. Honestly, we cant sit too long, we cant stand too long, we need to rest, we need to exercise - its madness. I am on holiday and have been resting too much so my knee is killing me. Here they sell 600mg ibroprufen and after eating I plan to take one and also tomorrow. Have gone backwards. Tomorrow is another day - 11 weeks and disapoointed now really thought might be normal at this stage. Tried to drive a manual car today too - painful - hired an automatic which is fine.
    • Posted

It's strange that the exercising hurts . .and yet not exercising makes it worse!  I'm 13 weeks . .just a bit ahead of you . .and still nowhere near normal  . . still very stiff knee . .will that ever go???? I wonder

• Posted

Well at almost 6 months down the line I'm finding that you can still over do it! I did six trips to the local refuse tip to get rid of loads of cuttings, and garden stuff and now my knee is feeling a bit painful, although not bad enough to ice etc so it as definitely improved over time! I've learnt that you really have to be patient with the recovery bit as you certainly need 12 to 18 months to fully recover😷
    • Posted

Patience then!  Glad it isn't too painful, but good advice not to overdo it. . . 
    • Posted

That is some comfort as when you hear 4 weeks x 2 crutches and 2 weeks with one or a stick, you assume ah ah that means normality in 6 weeks or so but the reality is different. Tonight my leg is like a football - double the other leg - and yet this morning all was well - I have stopped my diary as i really thought I had recovered but thanks to this forum I can see that need to be patient 
    • Posted

Yes, that was what i thought vaguely . .well, to tell the truth I didn't think enough.  The surgeon said two crutches sxi weeks, and three months one crutch . . so I thought great, at three months i shall be back to normal . . . .or I expected to be quicker really because usually I get over things a lot quicker than most people.  But lady luck was not with me this time!  thirteen weeks, still struggling with the bend and the straight . . although pretty good physically now, and walking fine, tiredness more or less gone, no more weepy days . . . just aches and peing a bit lazy by nature, not much chance of my overdoing things!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.