Stapedectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am deciding whether or not to get a stapedectomy done, and my doctor told me that it is only a 0.1% chance (1 out of 1000) that i will go completely deaf. i think i am going to go through with it...since i have been partialy deaf my whole life, and am excited to hear the difference. this site made me feel better about my decision. thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Britt, Just posted my experience on website after having this op done yesterday. It's got to worth the risk if it's going to improve your hearing. Good luck! smile Lorraine
  • Posted

Hi,

I have had two stapectomys, one in my right ear two years ago (with phenomenal improvement), and the second just over a week and a half ago in my left ear (again, with phenomenal improvement).

Both experiences were different. The right ear started hearing immediately, the left ear took about 3 or 4 days to clear up. Not much pain was involved.

Now things are VERY loud, but my brain will adjust to that. The dizziness post-op in both cases was bad for only a couple of days, then it gets better.

You forget how many things you missed hearing, like the air coming from the air conditioning ducts, or bird chirping, even stupid things like stairs squeaking when you walk on them.

I would recommend you research the best Otarlaryncologist in your area to do this surgery. It is very delicate.

I do not regret either surgery, and considering the eventual option of going completely deaf, I feel fortunate that I was able to continue my hearing!

• Posted

I am very scared to become absolutely deaf, also i am concerned abouthe cost of surgery, could some one pleasde tel me how could i find the best surgeon and how much the whole surgery would be?

i appreciate your help guys

• Posted

where did you have it done?

private?how much?do you recommend it?

thanks

• Posted

Did you do it, I did, it's fantastic being able to hear again, doc said he can do the other ear in two years, might, but I can hear so well now, not to sure!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.