Stapedectomy after care

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 3 days out, having a stapedectomy. I feel like my head is full, and the bouts of dizziness is bad at times. Does anyone know about how long this may last the dizziness bout. Will it get better? I'm taking antivert every 12hrs, is there something better? I heard taking ibuprofen helps with the inflammation.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Antivert should help reduce the dizziness. Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory drug. It can cause stomach problems so it is a good idea to take some yogurt or equivalent with it to help against this. 
  • Posted

This will soon go away, I was going crazy after my stapes, but about 5 days I felt better. mine was done 8 weeks ago, still feel some cracking and static in the surgical ear, its a noisy world out there, rustling of the wind when driving still bothers me.
  • Posted

Based on my experience.... the dizziness will go away in a week. It will start to get better after that. it is a slow process of healing so take it easy.
  • Posted

Hi, the best thing to do is phone your ENT and ask what else you can take and to let them know that your symptoms are worrying you. They normally make themselves available to you immediately after surgery, at any time. They are the best ones to tell you how long it will take as they know your situation better than anyone that hasn't assessed you. Hope you feel better very quickly. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.