Stapedectomy and hearing worse and wand like sounds from prosthetic plus tinnitus

Posted , 2 users are following.

etic What I am experiencing I am not finding on line and hoping someone else has gone through this and to tell me it will get better. But I am worried.

I am experience tinnitus for one. When I turn my head it makes a swoosh sound. If I shake my head I can hear my prosthetic makes a wand like noise. If I put my finger over the hole and let go it goes "pingggggg" Like music in my ears but not the good kind. What I can hear out of my right ear is a vibration type of voices too and not the normal sounding voice I use to hear. I am having a hard time hearing what people are saying and usually can't make out any words still. Sometimes I can hear my voice in my head and my ear still feels clogged. I go in next week for a hearing test but I can share that my hearing is worse than it was before. My nurse says she hasn't heard of anyone with this type of issues and yet I am sure in the heck not making it up. I am ready to go for a second opinion.

I'm praying this will resolve but not feeling that confident. I can't sleep with the noise in my head ear when I just turn my head. I don't know what to do or how to cope but I go on with my day but inside I am feeling so depressed and want my life back the way it was. Wish I never did this surgery. I just want silence and am not able to obtain that and to hear again. What a mess! Tell me someone it got better or what did you do or how are you doing? I feel so alone in this world of mine.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Cristina

I hope you feel better today x

I haven't had the same treatment as you but i am a Cholesteatoma victim and menieres disease, so in a way i can relate to some of the the things your experiencing. I have been having some issues with my hearing out of my c toma ear( as well as the usual stuff!!!) my ear vibrates every time i hear someone speak, its when someone finishes speaking, the last word if you like and my ear makes a vibration, the best way i can describe it is that it sounds like some one plucking a guitar string..sounds weird i know, but if someone is talking low its back to normal hearing but any other sound i still get the vibration. i have noticed to as well as my normal tinnitus, i get an under lying hum, a lot like tinnitus but it makes my vibration worse..and can be unbearable, but if i take an anti inflammatory like Nurofen, it goes and the vibration is calmer but doesn't go away. When you say VIBRATING VOICES do they sound like a robot? because i had this after my Cholesteatoma surgery but it did go..all of a sudden it just went. i wish this other thing would go but ive had it for nearly two years now! but i haven't had any investigation into yet as my other issues were the priority even tho i did mention it, it just got fobbed off. I have grown up with tinnitus, since i was small..i remember asking my mum were the noises i was hearing normal. My hearing loss is now severe. Tinnitus can be temporary due to your surgery, even if it turns out to be permanent you will be suprised to hear you can ignore it and you wont even notice it or be as bad. Ears are complicated and it is awful when they go wrong. Hearing your own voice is called PATULOUS EUSTACHIAN TUBE. basically i gives that FULL feeling in the ear and you can hear your self breathe ect they call it AUTOPHONY. the Eustachian tube doesn't close properly and that's what causes it, but i have a remedy for this and it works for me. when you feel it, bend over as if to touch your toes, so you get a slight pressure in your ears. Stand like this for a couple of secounds and you should feel your ear go back to normal. These things, for some reason ENT dont pass on this information when it will put your mind at rest or at least make you feel your not alone. I hope i have helped you out with some things. All we can do is keep going! I do know how you feel so your not alone!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.