Stapedectomy - and loud ringing and other sounds in ear

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi There,

I had my Stapedectomy last Friday April 1, 2016. The surgery under general went well I was told. Got home very dizzy but I knew it was all part of it. However, the ringing and noise in my ear that I had before is now intensified since the surgery (its been 3 days now since surgery). I tried to close my other ear to see if I could hear anything and so far nothing. So the loud ringing and the fact that I cannot hear yet is worrying me. I do have the ear cannal stuffed with cotton so I guess that could prevent the sound however, shouldn't the ringing be gone or at least gotten a bit better instead of more loud now?


1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    I had the same issues and am still dealing with them after 5 weeks.  But before that scares you, you have to know it's normal.  That is what my doctor told me anyway.   This surgery takes a TON of patience and the will power of positive thinking.

    I also went under general anesthetic and had a successful surgery with improved hearing tests. But my incus was eroded so he had to place the prosthetic up farther.  It's been 5 weeks and my lightheadedness is finally gone.

    The noises:  I didn't even have tinnitus before the procedure!  Which really made me regret it.  There has been loud ringing, light distant ringing, high pitched, low pitched.. even crickets, you name it.  At times I handled it well, at times I thought I was going to scream.  But it will get better.   Mine has considerably.  I notice that after I put my ears to work, the ringing was louder and as time passed in a more quiet setting, it faded a little bit.  This morning I could barely hear it and felt pretty normal.  Now I hear distant crickets as I listen to low music with my headphones.  I have hopes that this will resolve itself.  

    Your inner ear has gone thorough some trauma.  Allow it to heal.  I've read all sorts of stories and most of them are scary, so don't go googling anything just yet.  Just stay positive, take it easy and allow your ear to get itself back to normal.  This could take 3 weeks for some people, and 3 months for others.

    Best of luck! You'll be ok!



    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Yes you are right. Today it has been 10 days since I had my Stapedectomy surgery done. There is no pain, dizziness or any other discomfort. I think I have been a posterchild as to follow the doctor's instructions (with the exception of some casual burps/gas after drinking water and I forget to open my mouth and I feel some pressure in the ear but it could be due to the packaging that is still there). Anyway, I can tell that I can hear better from the operated ear. I could not hear a thing if I put the phone on that ear I can hear a bit... I can hear the voice from far away and I can tell it is a progress.

      So, I am hoping it continues to improve. Still got the ringing, ocean noise, crickets like noise just like I had it before. So all is the same except I can hear a bit better. April 21 (in a week or so) I have my scheduled appointment with my surgeon about removing the packing that is in there. I have been doing the drops and was told that I would be able to see pieces of the packaging coming out but so far nothing. So very curious for the outcome. 



      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      But L, I don't even feel it. I removed the cotton ball covering the entrance of the ear cannal and was told there are more deep inside which I cannot see or feel. So I don't even feel it not to like it. I am surprised you got the inner packing out in a week or myself and all other commenters took at least 2-3 weeks to get it out. So I am a bit confused. Oh well, will see on the 21st.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Yeah, I guess doctor's ways are all over the board.  I had removed the cotton ball and had 1 large piece of packing that you could see.  It was saturated with new and dried blood and cracking and tickling my ear near the end.  It was taken out in a week and then he used a suction tool that felt a little odd, but that was it.  1 week of drops after that.  
      Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up