Stapedectomy Experience (UK)

Posted , 29 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've just had a stapedectomy in my right ear and thought I would share my experience with others who may be considering this operation. I'll try and update this every couple of days, but feel free to ask any questions you might have in the meantime. I've really benefitted from reading people's first hand accounts in the lead up to this op so this is my opportunity to try and give something back to this niche stapedectomy community ;-).

Background to Stapedectomy: Since Dec 2016 I started to notice that I was losing hearing in my right ear. At first it was only minor (20% loss) but by early 2018 I was classified as severly deaf in that ear at around 85-90% loss. The severe hearing loss had a big impact on my social life, my ability to carry out simple tasks (i.e. riding my bike) as well as my work (meetings became a struggle). All of this coincided with a 10 year relationship break up in 2017, which when combined with my hearing problems, made me the social equiavalent of Gollum from Lord of the Rings. Something had to be done...

Getting Diagnosed: Getting the diagnosis for Otosclerosis in my right ear took a bit of time. Initially I thought it was wax build up and went to see a Dr in Romania while visiting my then girlfriends parents. They couldn't find any wax and recommended an MRI to check it wasn't anything sinister. Returning to the UK I got an appointment with the ENT department who undertook a series of checks and concluded I had Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. Cue several months of steam baths, decongestants, anti-hystamines none of which were effective in improving my hearing. I also had a CT scan which confirmed that there were no tumours present (these tumours are often harmless even if found). Returning to ENT after 6 months ready to demand grommets for my ears I was put through a hearing test again. This confirmed I was now severly deaf in my right ear, but also that my Eustachian Tubes were functioning normally. Hmmm? What had happened?

It turns out that the machine that they would have used to check the pressure in my middle ear canal wasn't working during my original appointment and therefore they were unable to discount ETD. Annoying.

My crude understanding of how they diagnosed my Otosclerosis is as follows. Ear drum was working fine, my auditory nerve was picking up sound fine (checked through bone conductivity tests if I remember correct) and my middle ear pressure was also good. By process of elimination they were pretty sure it was my a mechanical problem with my 3 ear bones, in particular the stapes.

Why did I opt for the Op? At the time I was given the option of hearing aids (hmm); a Bone anchored hearing aid (i.e. a hearing aid implanted into your skull) or a Stapedectomy. My personal reasons for going for the op were 1. my hearing was so bad in the affected ear that I felt the risk of losing my hearing totally through the op would not have resulted in a much worse situation to the one I was already in. 2. The success rate was for the op appeared to be good and could be undertaken as a day case 3. The op offered the potential to hear completely normally again. The other two options would have provided more artificial hearing benefits. 4. Probably an element of vanity about not wanting to wear hearing aids of have an implant 

Day of the op: So I was quite nervous about the prospect of a general anaesthetic (GA). I woke up on the day of my surgery Tues 8th and had to skip my coffee and breakfast as per the rules. The order of play went a bit like this....

1. Seen by nurse who checked vitals

2. Seen by anaesthesist

3. Seen by surgeon

4. Dress in funny clothes and excellent socks

5. Go into the operating theatre, have a small freak out about how many people are there just for you, get a mask over your face and then passing out.

In all seriousness I am a fairly anxious person, but the NHS staff were amazing and knowing what was coming each step of the way really helped quash any mystery about the process. Essentially GA is extremely safe unless you are a 120 year old man being rushed into A&E with half an arm and a penchant for long mid-morning snoozes.

Waking up and Day 1: The surgery took 2 hours for me, although 45-60mins is more common (i have a small ear canal apparently!). and you'll generally be put under for about 4 hours in total.

Waking up you will have a nurse checking your vitals and handing you some water to sip. Everyone has a different post GA experience (inc. hysterical laughing, crying and memory loss) but for me I was just  moderately dizzy and very lethargic. I got wheeled into a recovery room for about an hour an ate everything they had on offer. The first trip to the toilet was difficult as was putting on my clothes due to being so off balance.

I was given some paracetemol and Ibuprofen for the pain (at this point there was none) as well as some cotton balls to replace periodically over the next few days. I was told my follow-up appointment would be in 2 weeks where the packing in my ear would be removed.

At this point many people talk about being able to hear straight away. I can't say this was my experience, but I largely think this is due to the packing which is fairly tight in your ear. However, I did notice that scratching my ear lobe lightly produced a much louder sound than prior to the surgery which helped to give me some piece of mind that something has worked.

Day 1 returning from surgery: Dizzy and tired. Dizzyness comes more from leaning head forward, leaning head backwards or going up and down stairs. This is a very common side effect of the surgery so I'm not worried at this point. I have to move in a more considered way but I don't think I'm at risk of falling over from this feeling of being off balance. There is some pain in the affected ear but it's not too bad. Had a big meal, watched some TV and then feel asleep on my back.

Day 2: Just as dizzy as yesterday, cotton swab has a small amount of blood on it, ear pain definitely worse and can hear my heart beat/blood rushing sensation in my ear. None of this is unbearable and I still manage to talk to my sister on Facebook and listen to Adam Buxton's podcast. It's fairly embarrassing but one piece of advice I would give is get some 'stool softners' and or laxatives. A side effect of GA and pain medicine is constipation. Combine straining with a traumatised ear op and you have a fairly tricky pain balancing act while hovering over the toilet. Heed my words!

Day 3: Bad night of sleeping waking up in pain. Think I'm trying to do to much to soon. No change in hearing, but I'm really not expecting anything until the packing is out. Felling generally a bit deflated after the GA and not being able to do anything active...I am not an indoors person. Had a dizzy walked to the shops looking like a drunkard.

Day 4: slightly better sleep. Still some pain but I've only taken one ibuprofen today so it could definitely be worse. Still some minor bleeding on cotton swab. Ear continuing to make weird farting and squelching noises. I'm pretty relaxed that my ear is in recovery mode so I'm not expecting any miracles at this point. You'll read on other forums that some other people are already back to work at this point. This still feels some way off for me, but from what I've read about this procedure I can say for sure that everyone has very different recovery experience and associated timescales. Life can't be too bad as I've managed to write this post. Will update more over the coming days...

1 like, 149 replies

149 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I thought I would add my experience from my stapedectomy procedure for those who are considering the option.

I had a stapedectomy in Jan/2018 and have no complaints, save one, but I will get to that later. Here’s my story.

An ENT doctor diagnosed that my stapes was frozen in place by abnormal bone formation (otosclerosis) and the stapes needed to be replaced with titanium prosthetic following, are a few thoughts I have for those that are considering the prosthetic surgery. First, follow Dr’s orders throughout pre/op/post op. Follow pre op. instructions and DON'T worry about surgery. Day of operation, get to the appt. early. Relax while the nurses get you ready for the procedure, including IV line. In my case, it involved general anesthesia. The operation took 45 minutes total with another 45 coming-out of anesthesia.

Once I gathered my faculties, I realized complete hearing reversal! Sound was coming from everywhere all at once! It was a little overwhelming! I heard doors being closed, conversation in the next cubicle, machines humming. Now I know this may sound too good to be true, but since I have not enjoyed a functioning right ear for quite some time, the change in my hearing was dramatic (even with the packing in my ear canal)

In my case, the packing came out the day after surgery, removed by myself. I took the week off from work. A good move since I had a little dizziness for a couple of days. Protocol I followed, no water allowed in the ear, avoid sneezing and lifting heavy objects. My next scheduled Dr. Appt. was 4 weeks later. At the 4 week appointment the Dr. said everything looked good. I told him that I lost my sense of taste with numbness on the right side of my tongue and he responded that it would come back with time).

Here are a few things I have noticed since my surgery 12 weeks ago. My ear is very sensitive to pressure, even with small elevation changes. I watch TV at the 7 volume setting, instead of 10-12. When in a room with a lot of people, I hear everything as if it is amplified. Unfortunately, it is a little difficult focusing on individual conversation with a lot of background noise. Sometimes I cannot identify the direction sounds are coming from…. This may change as my brain adapts??? Also, people can’t sneak up on me anymore at work J. Oh, tinnitus has not changed from before the surgery, still there, oh well! There is still no improvement with my sense of taste.

Update, 6 months after surgery. I can still hear very well, so the prosthetic is in place and working! I still have tinnitus. I still cannot taste on the right side of my tongue! Bummer! If you need more information about this issue, which will likely occur during stapedectomy surgery, Google: Chorda Tympani Nerve Stapedectomy.

Overall, the whole experience was a breeze from start to finish. Be aware that you may lose your sense of taste for a short amount of time or maybe forever! No matter what I would choose the surgery again!

• Posted

I thought I would add my experience from my stapedectomy procedure for those who are considering the option.

I had a stapedectomy in Jan/2018 and have no complaints, save one, but I will get to that later. Here’s my story.

An ENT doctor diagnosed that my stapes was frozen in place by abnormal bone formation (otosclerosis) and the stapes needed to be replaced with titanium prosthetic following, are a few thoughts I have for those that are considering the prosthetic surgery. First, follow Dr’s orders throughout pre/op/post op. Follow pre op. instructions and DON'T worry about surgery. Day of operation, get to the appt. early. Relax while the nurses get you ready for the procedure, including IV line. In my case, it involved general anesthesia. The operation took 45 minutes total with another 45 coming-out of anesthesia.

Once I gathered my faculties, I realized complete hearing reversal! Sound was coming from everywhere all at once! It was a little overwhelming! I heard doors being closed, conversation in the next cubicle, machines humming. Now I know this may sound too good to be true, but since I have not enjoyed a functioning right ear for quite some time, the change in my hearing was dramatic (even with the packing in my ear canal)

In my case, the packing came out the day after surgery, removed by myself. I took the week off from work. A good move since I had a little dizziness for a couple of days. Protocol I followed, no water allowed in the ear, avoid sneezing and lifting heavy objects. My next scheduled Dr. Appt. was 4 weeks later. At the 4 week appointment the Dr. said everything looked good. I told him that I lost my sense of taste with numbness on the right side of my tongue and he responded that it would come back with time).

Here are a few things I have noticed since my surgery 12 weeks ago. My ear is very sensitive to pressure, even with small elevation changes. I watch TV at the 7 volume setting, instead of 10-12. When in a room with a lot of people, I hear everything as if it is amplified. Unfortunately, it is a little difficult focusing on individual conversation with a lot of background noise. Sometimes I cannot identify the direction sounds are coming from…. This may change as my brain adapts??? Also, people can’t sneak up on me anymore at work J. Oh, tinnitus has not changed from before the surgery, still there, oh well! There is still no improvement with my sense of taste.

Update, 6 months after surgery. I can still hear very well, so the prosthetic is in place and working! I still have tinnitus. I still cannot taste on the right side of my tongue! Bummer! If you need more information about this issue, which will likely occur during stapedectomy surgery, Google: Chorda Tympani Nerve Stapedectomy.

Overall, the whole experience was a breeze from start to finish. Be aware that you may lose your sense of taste for a short amount of time or maybe forever! No matter what I would choose the surgery again!

• Posted

Glad all has been great for you. I’m nearly at week 8. Hearing is amazing but I’m still experiencing the itchy ear. Sometimes even during the night I wake scratching oops. I still have some sensitivity on the left side of my tongue but it’s not too bad. I have been finding that the ear where the insision was made is still a bit tender and numb in places and when I wake in the night it’s sore if I’ve been lying on that side. I’ve just put that down to scar tissue. My app is on 16th Aug to see the consulate the and have my first hearing test done. 
    • Posted

Hi All, 

Thanks for keeping this thread going and really glad to see some new entries. I'm almost at week 12 and I'm really happy with the results. The hearing test showed complete return of hearing to within normal levels apart from the very highest frequency which showed little improvement. Can definitely relate to the sensitivity to pressure changes, but it's nice to be back doing push-ups, pull-ups, running and cycling again! No problems with taste whatsoever, but still have mild tinnitus which gets worse when I'm tired, hungover or just generally run down. Oooh actually one thing is that when I lie on my operated ear side it tends to feel 'plugged' in the mornings for about 10-15mins...not much to worry about though!

• Posted

Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad you are managing to get back to the work outs 
    • Posted

I'm exactly like you Davina. Be good to know how your test goes. Mine isn't until end of August because of holidays. I'm flying this weekend and a bit nervous about the pressure. That'll be almost 9 wks since op

• Posted

I’m sure you will be fine. I have avoided going to the club every week with the people I support because of the loud music, bit scared to take the chance.  I will wait till after my app once I know it’s all good. X
    • Posted

Hey. Hope ure flying experience went okay. 9 weeks on and I’ve still got the itchy ear. Other than that it’s just a very slight numbness on the tongue. Hospital on 16th for hearing test. Woohoo. X
    • Posted

Hi. Flying was a breeze, no issues at all. I've still got numbness on tongue too. Hearing is great though. Good luck with your appointment this week, be interested to know how it went x

• Posted

Being able to hear is the best thing ever lol. I will let you know how my app goes on Thursday x
    • Posted

So I had my hearing test today 😊 apparently the results cldnt have been any better. Amazing difference between now and my last test. So happy. X

• Posted

Whoop whoop! Amazing smile. I couldn't believe it when they showed me my results! Glad it's gone well for you 

• Posted

She said the smile on my face alone was a good indication without the results on paper haha. My right ear has become worse since last test but she was explaining the difficulties in doing a second ear and said he dizziness etc wld be much worse because the other had already been opened. At the moment I don’t desperately need the other one done and I do have a hearing aid shld I need  to wear it. 
    • Posted

Ha ha, yeah it's nice when you kind already know it's going to be good smile. Yeah my un-operated ear is still largely ok, but I'm not sure what I'd do if it got worse....No right answer, but personally I think I'd stick with the one good ear and use a hearing aid in the other. Just a quick one: do you find your ear still 'opens' and 'closes' some times? I'm not saying mine completely closes up but every now and then I'll yawn and it'll become a bit clearer...

• Posted

Yes my ear does that. To start with I hit panic as I thot I’d undone something lol. I don’t really think about it much now that it keeps happening. My scar on the outside gets itchy as hell at times. Drives me crazy haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.