STAPHYLOCOCCUS EPIDERMIDIS

Posted , 10 users are following.

Good morning all.  Sorry to change the subject but I feel this is very important to me but to all of your guy's on here.  I just got my report back on my culture.  I have a infection called Staphylococcus Epidermidis which is a UTI but this infection is different.  It is dangerous because it does not respond well to antibiotics. Most of the common used ones.  This bacterium species normally is not harmful but just like others it can become pathogenic.  At risk are individuals with weakened immune systems.  The vast majority of cases are observed in people with catheters and other devices including artificial heart valves. They usually contract the infection in a hospital setting.  This infection can show up in different parts of the body.  The infection is usually developed during the surgery but the patient may not experience any systems for up to a year.  Besides fever and fatigue, systems also can have night sweats, unintented weight loss, chronic cough, shortness of breath, pale skin, blood in urine, and red spots on the skin.  Well I have had all of theses at one point or another.  If you guy's remember I had a heart monitor put in a couple of years ago. Also November of 2016 I had a 9 hour heart ablation.  A week later I had Pneumonia,  Last year in November I was in the hospital went in with cold sweats and  could not breath. Heart was fine but kidneys shut down and my bladder was inflamed.  Also been seeing red spots all over my body.  Look like a pimple but no head.  Also over the last year and a half lost 110 pounds.  So when did I pick this up.  When I had the monitor put in or when I had the ablation.  My urologist is putting me one Bactrim 800/160  Don't know what else is in it. I will see when I pick it up.  I am writing this because I want all you guys to be careful.  I never new this could happen.  You go in to get help and you can pick something up that can kill you if you don't catch it in time.  Take care and God help us all.  Ken             

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Common bacteria found on skin. Does not hv to be treated with antibiotics unless you're symptomatic. You prob got it from Foley or CIC. I hv it too from time to time. I don't treat it unless symptomatic.

Jim

• Posted

My doctor wanted me to start the Bactrim first thing.  2 times a day for 10 days.  Then will do another culture.  Will see  Thank Ken    
    • Posted

Jim maybe you know this.  On my computer when you look on the e-mail you have the scroll bar on the right where you can view the email that are sent for some reason yesterday the whole right side is full and can't scroll up of down I can only view the ones on the screen I can't figure out what happen.  ????

• Posted

What brower and which email? They all can work differently
    • Posted

It is the one on the right side.  I think I know what happen was getting rid of some of the e-mail and got rid of some of the good one from some of the doctors that I have been talking to.  I don't have as many e-mail know and it only show what is in the file  Thanks  Not going to worry about it.  Thank you  ken 

• Posted

Hope that they care for you well and you make a good recovery. That was a heck of a lot of weight to lose.

Our UK patients are very prone to hospital acquired infections.

• Posted

I would just like to know when I got this.  Over the last few years I have had many procedure and have been in 4 hospital In 2016 was in the hospital 9 time. Could have been from a IV  Who knows  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

Ken, any bacteria can cause serious problems with a compromised immune system.  Are they saying that staph epi was the cause of your symptons in November? Anything poss but unlikely. 

Jim

• Posted

Yes that is what he said but who knows where I got this infection.  I have to watch my kidneys only have 1 good one and the other is only half normal size  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

Listen to your doctor on this one and don't scare yourself. I'm surprised he's even treating you with antibiotics if your're not symptomatic.. The other point I didn't make is that Staph epi is often simply contamination, i.e. you may have contaminated the urine sample with bacteria from your hands or meatus, or whoever processed the sample may have. As to where you got the infection, I strongly suspect it's either: (1) From the Foley; (2) From CIC; (3) Contamination of sample. In all cases, the staph epi could either have come from you or from someone else, as I remember that you had someone else insert the catheter for CIC at least once.

Jim

Jim

• Posted

I will never know where it came from.  I did not pee for 15 hours.  Saw blood on the tip a few times no feeling to go. So I did CIC.  It went in the first try and when I say the color of the urine I crapped the cup and put it in right away.  I made sure nothing touch anything.  I told my doctor that. Was at the office within 30 minutes.  Ken  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.