Staple and Physio worry

Posted , 10 users are following.

Tomorrow I am having my first post op out of hospital physio session and my staples out. I am worried because although I am walking a lot my knee bending isn't going so well. I can't lift my leg unaided off the bed and drawing the knee up to a bend is very painful. Worried they are going to pull it around a bit.

also can't wait but am apprehensive of the staples coming out it's going to hurt and gap. What arepeople's experiences  

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I was told to take painkillers an hour before having the staples out and to put Emla cream on the wound. Emla is a numbing cream, it must have helped because I didn't feel a thing. I had 45 staples.

Dont worry.

Caz

• Posted

The benefits of being half the world away, I'm awake when you're asleep and vise versa. Good luck

Caz - 10 weeks post op Australia

• Posted

I wish I had known that.... I was actually on the point of passing out.... I said to the nurse is there nothing I can have for pain.... but they don't bother.... just clipped away while I tried not to cry..... ps. .. I'm not a wimp... but this was painful. ..
    • Posted

I'm nocturnal anyway. I normally hang upside down in a cupboard during the day. ;o)
  • Posted

I remember how hard it was to move my leg after my TKR. I am now 6 weeks out. I finally figured out how to gently move my leg. Hook the toes (between your big toe and second toe) from your leg that was not operated on behind the heel of your sore leg. Move your leg up and down to the bed or chair or wherever you want to put it. This also takes some of the pressure off of the sore leg. Good luck. It does get better.
    • Posted

I was given a gadget called 'Leg Up' leg mover from physio. (you  can get them from Amazon)  Its like a doglead with a small soft loop at one end and a bigger firmer loop at the other. The bit in between is covered plastic. Its easy to hook your foot in the bigger loop and move it wherever you need to. It helps the muscles to remember what to do

Well worth getting one

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.