Staple hemroidectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm day 4 post op and never felt so miserable my whole life. Up to this morning I couldn't pass a bowel movement despite been up every half hour last night to 6am this morning. I'm having lactulose 3 times day drinking fluids, eating fruit yet still I could only go a little, most of what I passed was blood. My hemmoroids were grade 4 and I had prolapse rectum. I was told by my surgeon I would get urges to go to the toilet but I never dreamed it would be so bad. When I pass wind it's like having razor blades up my bum. I had bath this morning ,just water which eased it but as soon as I eat I get the urge to go to the toilet. And still I can't go properly just makes me feel sick and weak. Will this get easier please

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh Susan, I feel your pain (or I should say felt it). Day 4 and 5 are supposed to be the worst for some reason. You will feel better, I didn’t believe it at the time. By day 10-12 I started feeling better, with some setbacks. This is a brutal operation. My doc told me two months. I’m just there and though bm’s still feel uncomfortable there is no lasting pain or spasms after. Hang in there hon, you will feel better. Best wishes x
  • Posted

Hi Susan. It WILL get better!

I had very similar conditions and the operation last March. I too thought the world had ended for the first week after the op and, like you, had never experienced such pain and felt so miserable. It then started to improve a little each day but it was a month before I began to feel I was properly recovering and three months before my system began to let into some sort of regular pattern. 

I dont know why the surgeons underplay the impact of this operation, I read so many reports of the distress it causes.

TIPS

1 - Buy a portable bidet (sometimes called a sitz bath). Amazon sell them very cheaply. It's basically a bowl that sits over the toilet bowl and allows you to soak and and wash in warm (not hot) water. Most importantly, it provides periods of relief from the massive discomfort.

2 - Take pain killers to the maximum safe dose. You can alternate different ones throughout the day. Check with your doctor which ones can safely be combined.

3 - Lactulose wasn't the best for me. I started taking Laxido Orange. This isn't a laxative but a natural bulking agent that will keep your movements soft. Experiment with the dosage that work for you. 

Finally, I repeat, it WILL get better! hang on in there.

Best wishes, Tony

• Posted

Hi Susan. I had this procedure too at the end of September and the first 5 days were the worst. I got so low, I didn't think I could carry on (that's not much of an exaggeration). I experienced the pain, the feeling like I needed to go to the toilet on multiple occasions when I either didn't or it was mostly blood. I delayed lactulose until the 5th day. I don't know if that was a good or bad decision. I think it worked eventually but everyone is different. From day 5 to about a week and a half after I was still in pain after bowel movements but not for so long. From one and a half onwards the bleeding after bowel movements lessened/stopped and the pain was more bearable. I still feel I have some way to go until I feel completely 'normal' again but I've been able to go back to work this week and so I hope that like me, things do improve for you after the nightmarish first few days. 

• Posted

Hi Susan 

It does get better

That urge to go to the toilet is called Tenusmus and is caused by inflammation.  Once that inflammation dies down which it does in time. Thar feeling will go away 

I thought I'd never ever get better truly but I have.  It's a slow process as it's a terrible area to deal with.  

Please hang in there

It will get better

Are you able to use rectogesic cream?!  It's heart medication but in ointment form for down there.  Promotes healing... 

Good luck xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.