Staples out on Friday

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All,

I had my staples out on Friday just gone, The nurse seeemed happy with the wound. However she was a bit Anti water lol, keep it dry now showers you should not have been having showers. I have had every day and wound fine lol. She then put a dressing on it and said don't get it wer. Any way my question is to you good Hippie's how long was it after your staples-stitches before you had no dressing and got it wet?? .. other news, Hip feels fine doing my PT every day taking littles walks around the Streets near my house.. But still got knee pain even sore to touch and on bending feels like there is an iron bar preventing me from bending. Any ideas!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi  i am new to this forum, havign only just found it! Pleased I have!  Had RTHR June 5th. Had my staples out on Tuesday and was told that i had to keep the wound dry for a couple of days. I took the dressing off on Thursday. Have had showers each day since th eop.

i had knee pain ealier this week for a couple of days but thankfully it has subsided! i was getting quite worried. Hope that yours does too. The physio said that ti is to do with all the readjustments. Hope so!

• Posted

Just wondering about the staples, it this standard? I had internal stitches and then it was glued which meant I could shower the next day, healed well. 

Knee pain is normal and will go away after a while

• Posted

I seem,no I definitely have had more Knee pain than Hip pain lol, I'm sure it is due to repositioning of muscles etc, I showered every since Op 10-06-17, but had very good Gel Dressing. I will go without dressing from tomorrow I'm sure everything will be ok.

• Posted

My goodness! This hippy age 64 came home with this really kinda cool dressing that was waterproof. Got my shower that evening at home. This dressing stayed in place 10 daus & my physical therapist removed it. I had NO staples on the skin surface but of course sutures were underneath. The skin edges were approximated utilizing skin glue :-) At my original hip replacement 20+ years ago I had old fashioned black sutures on the skin edges. Wow but things have really advanced with technology down through the years!

Have a blessed day!

Vickie ?

• Posted

dear johnygail 

amazing ... 

with 1st  THR I was no allowed to take a shower until staples were removed ,

14 days post-op... scar was nicely closed and dry except for2 end puncture holes-

had dressing on it for a couple of days (per my request -didn't like how fabric touched scar) but could take a shower ..

With 2nd THR, 6 months later (same Surgeon, hosptal, even bed and staff), I was allowed to take a shower 2days post-op,all by myself .... with dressing which was changed after wards ... go figure ... 

I would say that if scar is closed and dry you're good...

as for your knee, I agree with others that this might still be the effect of the forceful manipulation during surgery and the realigment/adjusting when you are walking ..

maybe ice it after walking or exercising when knee is swollen -

Are you still taking pain medicationas prescribed?

You seemto do great, darling ... no need to rush ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Only prescribed medication is the blood thinner, other than that paracetamol during the day and 2 co-codamol at night when needed,
  • Posted

Dear Johny

Great news that you are doing well. Interesting that they did not put a waterproof plaster on you. That's what happened to me which was fantastic as I could enjoy showers.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

They did at the Hospital, it was the nurse after staples out. Budget cuts at local clinic lol. Luckily I had one from Hospital so took hers off and put mine on 😂

• Posted

Hi Johnygail,

I am about 6 weeks post-op RTHR.  Staples removed 2 weeks ago and wound then covered with steri strips (skinny band-aids)  I was told they would eventually fall off on their own, but I was allowed to shower.  I was surprised they stayed on as long as they did being exposed to water,  Finally the last two fell off.  Now I have nothing covering the wound.  Hip healing well, I think.  I see the surgeon on Wednesday and will ask about the extra 1/2" I have gained on the right side!  

• Posted

Strange, I have also Gained a bit of height on the Op side lol don't mind if I do being a short Arris. lol I'm going to take the dressing off tomorrow,

• Posted

What different advice we all get, I was given the 'green light' to get in the shower the day after the operation ......... and it was bliss to wash off the 'operating theatre' smells.  I did stop for a few days after having staples out, but as soon as it was nicely healed, resumed with care around the wound of course.

• Posted

Having a nice dream... then Ouch!! Cramp in my calf on the op side !! Damn that hurt 😂😂

• Posted

get some tonic water ... it helped me - 

hope you are able to conitnue your dream 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.