Staples removed today!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all,

Just a wee update, was at health centre today and my staples were removed. WOOHOO!

Wasn't too bad, some were sorer than others to come out.

It feels really strange, I keep thinking that they were holding me together and now they are gone, afraid to move, haha.

Even though I don't feel like I am making progress with the exercises and bending, I feel good knowing that the staples are out as that is a bit of progress.

How did you all get on with the staples coming out? Did you feel any relief and did it make the bending and exercising easier?

N x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Good morning!!! Glad your staples were removed.

my surgeon used glue...so no staples. internal stitches.

My experience has been that some days are better than others. Today I've completed some strength exercises that my surgeons office emails to me. The emails have videos and written instructions. I try to do some of these at home on the days I don't have physical therapy.

yesterday was two months for me...and I still have pain when walking. But I am trying to strengthen the leg that had the surgery.

If you are given any exercises that will strengthen thigh and calf muscles...please try them. They might help you feel more confident. best of luck!!!

I

• Posted

I keep trying with the exercises that the physio gave when i was released from hospital but still cant do them.

Eagerly awaiting to hear from local physio after being referred.

• Posted

i thought I would have relief, less stiffness when the staples were removed but it made no difference. keep stretching, good luck

• Posted

That is what I was hoping as well, but it still feels as stiff as it was. Keep trying with the stretches and bending and lifting but no success.

At what point do you think I should be concerned and contact hospital?

N x

• Posted

I still have stiffness and I'm two months out. the stiffness is what makes it difficult to walk without pain. I am finding however, that a little at a time during the day it improves. and sometimes becomes stiff again later.

I would continue to try stretching and be patient with yourself. I was told to judge improvement in weeks...not days.

if you are really concerned, you can always check in with your doctor. keep us posted.

• Posted

hi glad you didn't experience too much discomfort, my friend cried the whole way through. My doctor used glue no staples, makes for a quicker recovery. Good luck with your physical therapy!

• Posted

My staples came out today too. I was really surprised how painless it was, just one or two stung a little, but nowhere near as bad as when I had a laparotomy. Already it feels less restricted and I can bend the knee more when walking. It's itchy though!

• Posted

Glad we had the same experience in terms of it not being too bad.

I wish, however I was the same as you with regards to feeling less restricted. Still extremely stiff and still cannot bend or lift.

Hoping for some good days.

• Posted

I'm sure you will get there, because you want to so badly, it might just take a little longer. Please don't compare yourself to everyone else, Each of us will be unique in our recovery. I didn't think I'd ever be lifting my leg unaided, but it happened all of a sudden. I'm still struggling with lifting it when the knee is bent and can only do it supported at present. I was advised to liken recovery to a marathon - we'll all get there, just not at the same time. It was brought home to me when, in the space of a week, I was told about someone who was back dancing after 6 weeks and another who was 'doing very well walking without a stick indoors only after 9 months'. We'd all like to be the first example, but I suspect that's the minority. You're not even at 2 weeks yet and, in light of your RA, I think you're doing brilliantly. Can I ask if your knee is very swollen? Because that will have an impact on how much you can bend it. Keep practising exercises with support, it will help muscle memory and keep icing and elevating. Again I was advised 80% of the first two weeks should be doing that with gentle walks up to 5 mins every 4 hours or so round the house.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.