Stare

Posted , 6 users are following.

My female friend seems to stare into nothing lasting a couple of seconds to 10 minutes. At a time. When she comes around from this she has no idea where she is or where she is going or what happened before. She can be talking on the phone to someone or can be talking to you and then nothing. Any ideas please as to what this could be

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi we are not doctors here and can't guess.  I think this is worrying and she needs to see a doctor to get a diagnosis.  Can you get her to go?   x
  • Posted

Hi David,

I had a friend who experienced these absences as a result of epilepsy. These absences were the mild seizures she would get fairly frequently if her medication needed to be adjusted. It was slightly different because my friend would not realise she had been unresponsive and would pick up as if nothing had happened. She would sometimes continue talking without making much sense. If no-one said anything she would not know it had happened.

I'd urge your friend to see a doctor, probably without mentioning what I've said so as not to frighten her. If it is epilepsy it can usually be treated effectively with pills, and shouldn't interrupt her life, but she absolutely can't drive while she is getting absences. There's also a possibility that a larger seizure may happen. The doctor will also want to send her for a scan to find out if there is something triggering them. 

I'm not a doctor and there could be lots of other diagnoses that fit the description, it just sounds familiar. 

If she's worried, could you go with her to any appointments? 

• Posted

Sounds like petit mal. Definitely urge her to see her doctor.
    • Posted

That sounds like a type of seizure! She needs to go to a doctor and explain what's been going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.