Start up effects when compared to other SSRIs?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been on Citalopram for 5 years, with great results. However, about 6 weeks ago, my anxiety came back, along with insomnia, loss of appetite, stomach problems, and all that other fun stuff;-).

?I went into the doctor, and got a prescription for Escitalopram. So far, I've been to scared to switch, though. I had a rough time starting up on the Citalopram (although some of that could have been from my doctor increasing me from 0 to 20 mg. to 40 mg. within one week. That was a really bad idea).

?For those who have been on other SSRI's, how are the start up side effects? Would you recommend cutting the pill (10 mg. dosage) in half for the first few days?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey Kelly,

Sorry to hear the citalopram stopped working. I was on 40mg of citalopram a few years ago. Like you my doctor increased way to early going from 10mg fo 20mg and so on every week. It was awful! I went off it because I became pregnant but am now back on 20mg escitalopram. Was on 10mg for 5 weeks and this will be my 4th or 5th week on 20mg(I've actually forgotten haha). The escitalopram has less side effects then the citalopram so you should be ok. I was just a little more anxious and cloudy for a bit but if you can wait it out it will come good! I have been feeling like poo for 2 days but ive been sick for a week now and my necks out haha.

I hope this helped a bit! You can do it!

Cassandra

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, Cassandra! I'm hoping Escitalopram works as well for me as the Cit did, before it quit working;-). It's good to know you had fewer side effects with starting it:-). I'm going to put off switching until early July: I have a busy late May/early June with relatives visiting from out of town, a possible vacation, work stuff, and appointments and such for my kids, and the thought of switching during that time doesn't sound like much fun;-).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.