Start venlafaxine tomorrow, am worried because of negative things I've read, need positive feedback!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have been on sertraline for 4 weeks and doctor has advised that I start up a new tablet called venlafaxine think that's what it's called. I got bad side effects from

Sertraline and my anxiety got worse, but I need to hear some positive feedback from the venlaflaxine because I am worried about starting it tomorrow. Please can someone give me some details of good experiences from this drug.

Thanks in advance smile

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I don't want to alarm you but I would think long and hard about taking Venlafaxine.

I've been on it for 6 months now after being on Duloxetine for many years. Dose is currently 150mg a day but am tapering down to nothing under medical guidance after I realised it truly was a horrible, horrible drug.

I've put on a huge amount of weight in this time although I eat healthily and never exceed around 1,500 cals. a day. And I exercise regulalrly to the full extent my calorie intake will allow.

Side effects for me have been depression (go figure!), memory loss, poor concentration, loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, chronic fatigue, insomia, visual disturbance, aching joints and muscles, and weight again.

Withdrawal symptons added to the above now include brain zaps and really weird dreams (not all unpleasant!) but I also take Diphenhydramine HCl (Nytol or Boots Sleepeze in the UK) which I read online helps alleviate some of the withdrawal symptoms, which it does.

I really don't understand how drug companies are allowed to sell drugs like these, and how doctors can continue to prescribe them although a raft of 'incentives' probably helps!

And what's worse is that most doctors are also clueless as to how to come off them!

• Posted

Firstly thanks for replying and sorry u have had to go through bad side effects, everyone is different so will effect everyone in a different way, I've been on citalapram which didn't do anything for me then I went on to mitazapine which made me put on two and half stone then I went to sertraline which really worked for a year and a half, came off them but after six months started feeling anxious again so started them up again but they haven't worked this time round so doctor has advised me to try venlaflaxine which is supposed to be better because it is a slow release drug. I am still very uneasy about taking this medication but need something to help with low mood and anxiety.

I hope u start to feel better soon and find something to alleviate your symptoms.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I really feel for you as I've been in the same position as you. Β An added complication is I'm a recovering alcoholic but i want to see what life and the world is like with any chemical mind altering substances!

I've tried all of the same meds as you over the years plus Duloxetine which worked really well for me but was also extremely painful to come off.

I'm no expert but perhaps you could give Ven a try but keep the dose as low as you possibly can and wihdraw as soon as possible if it doesn't seem to work or if the sides get intolerable. Β If you do have to withdraw, I found out online that Diphenhydramine (Nytol or Boots Sleepeze) eases the withdrawal symproms, which certainly works for me.

If I was to go back on ADs I would try Citalopram again as this seems to be the easiest to withdraw from but I will NEVER go back on Ven or Duloxetine.Β 

Good luck and keep me posted.

• Posted

Yes I am going to continue taking Venlafaxine and see how I get on, as I've not been sleeping very well I have actually been taking nytol and found it helped coming off the sertraline so hoping it'll help with side effects of the venlafaxine too.

Thanks again for your comments.

• Posted

Hi!

I've been on Ven for nearly a year and the worst side effects I got was a bit of nausea when I first started taking it. I managed to sort it by making sure I eat before I take them. Now I've been on them for long enough I can take them on an empty stomach smile

Please don't be scared of taking Ven! If you've come to the point of needing them, you do not need the added worry of what could happen. Everyone has very different side effects to medication, especially antidepressants. I used to be on fluoxetine, but they made me worse so I went onto Ven and they've helped me so so much.

I also heard a lot of scare stories about it, but the only thing I've found to be universally true is stopping suddenly is awful. I've missed the occasional dose and it feels like your brain is being electric shocked and sometimes the depression/anxiety hits you pretty badly. I also get pins and needles in my neck and cheeks! But these all go away in a couple of hours after remembering your dose, though I sometimes feel a bit shakey for the rest of the day.

If your doctor thinks they're a good idea, it's definitely worth trying them in my opinion, they have helped me get my depression and anxiety down from suicidal to actually being able to enjoy my life. (Again, this is all personal) and for every bad experience from a missed dose I have a thousand positive days that I couldn't have made it to without medicinal help.

All my best and I wish you all the luck in your recovery!

• Posted

Glad to hear it worked for you.

I am on my second day on venlafaxine and feeling okay so far apart from sickiness and feeling a bit shaky but think that might just be the sertraline still in my system.

Thank you for you reply and keep me posted of how u are too smile xx

• Posted

IV been on Ven for 15 years. I can honestly say without this drug I would not be here now! I have reduced the from 300 to 150mg so I'm quite happy with that.

Discussed with my doctor over the years about side effects, like most mainly nausea (which I can cope with) the other is if you miss a dose. (Not good) IV only done that once and won't do it again. I felt like crap to put it mildly.

I tried 4 other antidepressants before the Ven. None helped so this was my life saviour.

I'll probaby just continue taking the 150mg as I feel well. I work in a professional job where memory and responsibility are a must and I have been fine.

If I decide to decrease More I will let you know.

Good luck πŸ‘

• Posted

That's so nice to hear that it's working for someone else and it isn't all bad feedback. I have been taking nytol which has completely whacked me out all day so am now taking my meds in the evening before bed as they make me feel drowsy anyway. When do u take yours? X
    • Posted

I always take mine first thing in the morning. Suppose it's habit really but in the back of my mind I think I can get through the day knowing IV taken it. I don't have a problem with memory or concentration where as I know some people do.

I'm a staff nurse on a busy ward but can honestly say I wouldnt be able do my job without this medication. I have the come to the conclusion that if I need this one tablet for the rest of my life, then so be it...

I'm happy, healthy and loving life.

Once they kick in you feel so much better. Feel free to ask any questions. I'm always happy to help anyone.

πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ˜Š

• Posted

I know what u mean, when I first taking the tablets a year or so ago I did that but they made me worse to begin with because of the side effects so decided to take them in the evening so I sleep off the worse of them.

How long have u been on them for and did u get side effects?

Glad they are working for u, must have been hard working on a busy ward having anxiety as I found it hard enough working on reception in a small business.

• Posted

IV been on Venf for 12 years. Only side I get are nightmares and I jerk a lot in my sleep (apparently) lol

I think your body adjusts. That's why I think it's hard to come off them when required. I'm happy to stay on them. I'd rather feel ok than go through a withdrawal program

• Posted

Blimey that's a long time. Have u ever been pregnant or been trying for a baby in that time, it's just me and my husband want to try for a baby soon once the tablets start taking effect and I feel better.

I get jerks when sleeping too comes and goes which I find weird but must be normal lol!

• Posted

How long does it take for the side effects to stop? It's been really tough

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.