Starte venlflaxine 3 days ago from citralopram! Side effects help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I been taking citralopram for 9 years for anxiety and PTSD . I kept having what I call " melt downs " more regularly so Dr changed me to venlafaxine 37.5 twice a day ( not the modified release one).

*Worked pretty quick don't get panic / anxiety attacks anymore when I get a pain like I would previously do. But I'm getting ache in my sternum like there's a lump inbetween my ribs also back ache and aching chest . Are these usual side effects ?

THANKS IN ADVANVE X

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ok-I saw your post about alcohol first.  The side effects you are descibing are more common when lowering the dose-but everyone is different.  I am very curious as to why your doc opted for Effexor, As someone who has had severe panic disorder (so bad I have had doc's ask if they can publish my case) I was put on Effexor because 20 years ago the only options for panic (I also have PTSD, OCD, agoraphobia-the list goes on and on!) were prozac, imipramine or an MAO inhibitor.  There are far better meds now for these problems, which is why I am starting the scary journey of getting off of Effexor.  I'm curious why this was prescibed for you.  Just food for thought.  Do you have an actual lump?  If so go see your GP/internist to hve that checked-I experienced shortness of breath and mild chest pain.  But if it just feels like there is something stuck in your ribs, yep that's the Effexor.  Most doc's call it 'side effexor' due to the numerouse side effects.  Other things you may experience are constant dry mouth, changes in bowel movements (sorry, but I am trying to give you the honest truth!), excessive thirst, sweating, and fast weight gain-amongst others I did not experience. Honestly, if I knew then what I know now about this med, I never would have taken it.  Do yourself  huge favor and ask your doc why he/she opted for Effexor.  I am always available to talk-after two decades on this and many other meds for anxiety, panic, PTSD, OCD, etc.  I know how confusing and scary it can be-but you are NOT alone!!!

Kirsten

• Posted

I saw saw post here about wei gain. I seemed to be th only person that put weight on. Happy to read tyour post. Think tho I felt like crap that I, never have taken this if I'd realised how bad coming of it was. Your reply mirrors my personal experience x 

• Posted

Kat what other meds are good for panic and depression I am scared I will be prescribed Venlafaxine and I don't want it - it seems to have loads of side effects and be horrible to get off. S

I will also post about this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.