Started 10mg citalopram / celexa today.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve had a history of anxiety since I was a teen but I never acknowledged it.  I’m now in my late 20s and it’s worsened, bad. It’s to the point that I became a hermit and became distant from my friends in high school.. and would always find excuses to avoid them. My doctors knew I had anxiety but I always brushed it off u til a few years ago. I was prescribed citalopram but feared taking it because of side effects.. feared I’d go out of my mind when I take this for a while... but I’ve contemplated on my life lately and though I don’t want to look back at my life 5, 10, 30 years from now and say.. “wow I hid from living my life when, hid from people who care about me”

So I decided to start today...

I took 10 mg at 3pm and It is now about 10pm and I  JUST started feeling nauseated..  

I hope I can stick this through..  and I hope this is the worst that I’ll feel on this.

Has anyone had success at just 10mg?

And can anyone tell me what to expect... I’m really nervous about having started.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey well done on taking the first steps to a better life. I started on 10mg 4 years ago, I felt sick, tired even more anxiety and sleepless nights after about 2 weeks this does ease off, of the nausea gets too bad travel sickness tablets help. Whilst on 10mg I partly recovered did a uni degree and worked until about 6 months ago whilst trying to come off then I hit a low and I’ve had to go up to 20mg. HTH good luck xxx
    • Posted

I’m so glad I found this forum so I can talk to people like you about what to expect and what not.. I appreciate your feedback and story!
  • Posted

You will get side effects but it cant be any worse than what you have been going through x If it helps you get your life back then it is worth it isnt it x Hang on in there you will see a light at the end of the tunnel
    • Posted

How long have you been on it and what did you experience? Thanks for your kind comment 💗

• Posted

I had hot flushes with pins and needles up my arms and chest sickness in the mornings and headaches x Everyone is different though so you might not get these i also slept a lot where some people cant x Im not going to lie and say it is easy because its not but it does get easier x I did have 2 sessions of councelling which helped and i have a 4 week coutse starting next week x I am in my 8th week been back at work for 5 struggled at first but got better i had a stomach bug on Sunday which has made me a bit jittery the last few days but im getting through it x You will get better try to focus on the positives download apps for anxiety and listen to go for long walks it all helps x I also drink decaf tea or coffee now which i think helped
  • Posted

Hi, 

I am 1 week into citalopram. Well done for taking the step too - it wasn’t easy for me either. 

I am still feeling sick every morning at the moment but people are telling me it really does go away after a few weeks. I know it’s hard to feel worse at the beginning, we just have to hang onto the hope that it will get better! 

• Posted

Is there a good time to take it? Am? Mid day or pm?

I hope this is all we’ll feel for side effects. 🤞🏼

I wish u luck!

• Posted

For me I’ve found it best to take with breakfast in the morning. I feel sick in the morning but then it wears off around lunchtime so I can have a relatively normal afternoon and evening. 

My doctor said if it impacts on your sleep it’s best to take it AM so it’s largely out your system by bed time. 

But said if you really struggle with the sickness, to take it before bed so that you are asleep while it’s at a high level in your system. 

So it’s really down to how it impacts you I think. Yes I really hope the sickness is all we feel - there are so many other side effects so I guess it’s a positive to just have the 1! smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.