Started citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

After a relationship break up 3 months ago I've slowly slipped in to a severe depression.

I wake up feeling beyond low and filled with dispair and spend most mornings crying for 2-3 hours.

I have no motivation to do anything and have to force myself to do simple tasks.

I'm still dealing with the heartbreak from the relationship ending but on top of this no find no joy or even relief in anything I do.

Everything reminds me of my ex and our time together and it's debilitating, I'm avoiding simple things like going to the shops or taking a walk as I just feel so sad and the thoughts won't go away.

I have never felt this low in my life.

I was prescribed sertraline last month but after 2 attempts to take it gave up after 2 days each time as the side effects were so bad And I have a young child to look after and even the sound of someone's voice was hurting my brain, I felt so spaced out I couldn't get off the couch and was shaking non stop.

I went back to my gp and have been given citalopram on a low dose of 10mg I've taken it for 2 days so far and have had no noticeable side effects which I'm happy about.

I guess I'm just looking for some support and for someone to tell me that this feeling will get better and the antidepressants will help as I'm not sure how much longer I can go on feeling this way.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello, ive revently been as down as yourself, for a few months. Would stay in bed at weekends, just about carried on with my job, and lost interest in everything. Seemed like everything outside upset me, reading tv and music etc all upset me, and stopped all of it. The slightest thing, like going to the shops was a struggle, and i wasnt concerned about eating. Would take me 2 or 3 hours to get up if i did. Started a new antidepressant, and over the last 6 weeks have very slowly improved, where im getting up earlier, not staying in bed, not getting upset by the slighest thing. Its been really hard. Still nowhere near recovered. My circumstances havent changed one bit in that time, but the anti depressant im on now is slowly doing its job. Its really early days for you yet, so dont expect too much. Have regular reviews, at least every 2 weeks, as you may need an increase in dose at some point. The no side effects is a good sign. Just stick with the medication, and have regular reviews.
  • Posted

Your on the right track now though taking a good medication, hang on In, I’m sure life will look better In a few weeks & now you have us on this site for extra support, good luck.👍

• Posted

Losty, 

Hang in there. I’m on 10mg citalopram for 17 weeks. It’s really helped me. I don’t stress anymore which is fabulous. 

It’s just the crazy side effects I’ve had. They mostly have dissipated except for teeth pain. 😬😬😬😬😬

Keep us posted how you do and their is a forum just for this drug. It helped me a lot to get through the roller coaster ride over the past 4 months. 

Will😎

• Posted

Thanks everyone,

Just really hoping that something lifts soon as life just feels pointless at the moment.

I'm not sure why this break up has hit me so hard and caused such a downwards spiral as it's one of many in my life none of which caused me this type of reaction.

I want to go out and enjoy life but everyday wake up feeling so low and just cry, everything feels so difficult and pointless.

I feel so guilty as I have a child who I should be taking out and doing things with but I feel like I can't.

The strange thing is by the evening I always feel a bit better and think about all the things I could do the next day, but then the next day comes and it's back to square one. 

• Posted

I so wish the should word is removed from our language. We should do this, we should do that etc. No, we could do this and we could do that. When we are in pain, we need time to recover, re group and start again and whilst we are doing this we need to stop being so hard on ourselves. Whilst you are recovering do small things with yourself and your child. Sending lots of strength to you.
  • Posted

Hi Losty, it sounds very much like your grieving the loss of your relationship, how you feel is completely normal. I was in a similar position as you recently and started seeing a psychotherapist, with her help my recovery speeded up. I started writing a journal too which included a list of what I didnt like about him and the good things that I now have in my life which I didnt have with him and read them everytime I weakened. Its hard to imagine those good things when you are in pain, they are there you have to look for them. 7 months later I have a new life and as my name says am free at last. Hang in there and take good care of yourself.
    • Posted

Thanks I've just taken my 4th tablet.

Yesterday was a really bad day for me and I cried most of the day.

Today I've managed to hold back the tears for the most part and got out the house to run some simple errands and visit my mum.

There's just this constant feeling of despair in my head though and nothing seems to shift it or distract me from it 

• Posted

Hi Losty, give citalopram a few weeks minimum to really start working. Thats good regarding the errands, just keep doing that and reaching out for support. Its not easy and it will get better, focus on your child to keep you strong.
    • Posted

Losty,

Hang in there. Do you take your pill in the morning or evening? Remember it takes time for this med to adjust to your body, I’m in my 18th week and I’m still adjusting. Trust me it gets better. 

Will😎

• Posted

Hi I've been advised to take me pill in the evening at the moment so I sleep through and side effects and it seems to be ok as I've not really had any physical side effects except tiredness a couple hours after taking it.

This morning I did wake up feeling very sick but I think this is due to the fact I have to appetite so I'm eating very little.

The last couple days have been really bad depression wise, I just feel so low and couldn't get out of bed until the afternoon today.  It took me 2 hours just to have a shower and get dressed.

I did make it outside for a bit earlier and feel a slight bit better but finding motivation to do anything is so hard for me I really want these to work for me but know it's going to be a while yet it's just really hard getting through everyday at the moment and I feel I'm getting worse.

My depression does seem to lift in the evening for some reason, I think that's due to the fact I don't feel any pressure to go anywhere or do anything and can just relax and goto bed, but then the next day it's back full force and I feel like I'm living in a nightmare. 

• Posted

Update 

Well I've been on this for 14 days now

7 days 10mg then upped to 20mg for 7 days.

I've not had too many side effects, I'm more thirsty I've noticed and my sleep isn't too great but wasn't before so not sure if that's a side effect or not.

Mornings are still really bad for me and I don't want to get out of bed but also can't fall back a sleep so lie there for a good couple hours trying to find motivation to get up.

The first few hours of the morning I'm still very tearful but seem to get better as the day goes on.

I still don't want to do much but in comparison to last week where I felt suicidal for most of the day and cried all day most days there has been an improvement where I'm crying less and don't feel as hopeless I can see a light at the end of all this now.

I'm able to have conversations with my family again and feel interested in what is being said compared to the weeks before when I just had a constant pit in my stomach and feeling of dread and hopelessness and cared about nothing.

I'm hoping things continue in this direction and my motivation and passion to want to do more will come back over the next few weeks. 

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing well. I switched to ven a couple of months ago from cit, as cit caused me raging anxiety. For last 3.months, same issues as yourself, taking 3 or 4 hours to get up on a morning, didnt bother on weekends. Couldnt watch tv, listen to music, talk to family and friends etc. Really started to improve just over a couple of weeks ago, after an increase in ven. Getting up earlier, and doing yoga, mornings and evenings. Literally 3 or 4 weeks ago, was still a mess. Once you get the right med (sounds like you have) and dose, the improvements seem to snowball. Looks like you are heading in that direction. All the best.
    • Posted

Forgot to mention. I take my meds as soon as i wake up, and realise im not going back to sleep. Seems to bring forward feeling better in mornings.
  • Posted

Hi losty,

I’m just finished my 19th week at 10mg. I had horrific side effects for 3 good months. I managed to work through it. I think Work helped me get through it. start a journal it helps to look back and see how well you progressed. Go for a walk to help with anxiety. 

Will😎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.