Started Citalopram Last Night

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone this is my first post on here so please be kind.

I started taking Citalopram last night after going to see my GP and explaining my situation.

My partner left me last week after 13 years and this has left me devastated. Although things hadn't been great for a while we'd been through so much together and when she told me it was over, it knocked me off me feet.

I've had feelings of anxiety and worry, etc for a few months but since last week my state of mind has rapidly worsened. I can't sleep or eat and have been drinking way more than I know I should, I'm always anxious and I am always bursting into tears when I think about what's happened - everything that I used to look forward to is now just such an effort and just don't know how I'm going to cope, which was the reason for seeing my GP.

I have supportive family and friends who I've seen, but when I'm with them I still feel so alone - does that make sense?

I've always been happy go lucky and never thought I could feel like this.

Since last night I've read good and bad things about this medication, so any advice would be appreciated. Cheers and sorry for the self pity and waffling on!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

:cry: hi ive been on mine for a week now first few days was buzzing with no sleep at all settling down now im really hoping there going to work every thin from past 2 present got on top of me cant pin point one thing totally lost me confidence can go out on my own any where cant socialize as i shake with nerves and cant get a drink to my head but totally understand what your sayin have a lovin carin family yes but feel so alone and a burdern with boring problems
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply fluff. I've been on it for a week and a half and its had no effect on me at all - if anything I feel worse, apart from when I've had a drink which helps for a while. I assume my GP will up my dose when I go back next Monday.

Al least I can pinpoint the thing that's made me feel this way - hang on in there and hope things improve for you too

I feel the same as you, trying to do 'normal' things but it's just such an effort. I keep getting told things will get easier but I just can't see that happening - just soooooooooooo tired.

Feel as though people will start getting fed up with my mood and stop bothering, cos it will make them down too .......

Thanks

• Posted

Hi. Ive taken citalopram for just over a week now. Im a little light headed with some hot and cold sweats. But they have definitely helped my depression. But if your partner only left you last week, I imagine you will have to be patient - it is a traumatic event. The best cure (ive been through it) is to not isolate yourself. See your friends, talk about it, get it out of your system.
  • Posted

Hi Mark09.

I've just started today on 20mg after going to see doc. I've also managed to get refered for therapy. I came out of a 6 year relationship at the end of May under similar circumstances so can completely appreciate your state. Worst thing is I've not done anything about it until now.

I've never considered either drugs or therapy before and am cynical about the effects of both. However, I realise I currently have nothing to lose so look forward to seeing if there is any impact. My Doc advised it would take about 2 weeks before you would be likely to see any perceived imapct. She also said that alcohol magnify impact but didn't suggest this was a particularly bad thing....

• Posted

My son went through a painful relationship break up and had to move out, leaving his little daughter behind. He had a breakdown one afternoon in our back garden and we took him to the docs. He was given Citalopram and it was about 4 weeks or so before he really noticed it helping. He had racing thoughts and was also racing to the loo.

After about 6 weeks he noticed it was really taking the edge off the anxiety and loss of confidence. He was on it for a year and then slowly weaned himself off. By then his situation was more sorted and access to his daughter agreed and he felt he could cope again.

Good luck, hope it works as well for you.

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies. I haven't had any side effects - if anything I feel worse but as you all say it may take a few more weeks for them to get in to my system.

I just wish I could get a decent nights sleep.

I have been having counselling which does help talking to someone who's not connected to the situation, but I find any little thought can trigger off a feelings of sadness/being alone - seeing couples happy, going out in places where we used to go as a couple - even watching tv programmes!!!

I have been going out with friends and trying to do the normal day to day things but still end up having to come back to an empty house and looking across at an empty settee.

There's no ideal time for these things to happen I know, but with christmas and new year around the corner it just makes things harder.

All the best

• Posted

hi

Your GP should have madeit clear to you that these tablets take 4-6 weeks to take effect. You certainly will NOT notice a difference after 1-2

weeks.

Stay on the tablets they DO work and all the side effects that you have read about WILL DISAPPEAR.

I know 6 weeks may seem a long time to wait but dont give up, they will

work for you

Good luck

Gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.