Started Compounded Estrogen

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started the compounded estradiol three days ago.  My initial response was burning for the first half hour or so and the next day I was fine.  I applied the compound the second night and had no burning, but experienced burning all day yesterday.  Today, so far so good but it's only a little after 8:00 this morning.

I have not been receiving any posts from this group for two days.  Is there a problem with the site?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorrie, 

I started a compounded estroidal late yesterday afternoon. It's compounded with Vaseline.  I apply it externally.  It produced symptoms of a deep pulling, contraction, burning feeling.  This very uncomfortable feeling lasted for about one hour.  The prescription calls for twice daily application.  Since I started late in the day, I only applied once.  I'll give it another try today. 

• Posted

Patricia,

After the first hour did the contraction and burning feeling go away?  I'm still good so far this morning.

I called the compounding pharmacy and asked why they gave me 16 grams of the compound if I'm only using a pea size amount for two weeks then one or two times weekly.  She said that is what the rx is written for and it expires at the end of this month.  I asked if I could buy a shorter amount next month, for the cost is 45.00 and I would be tossing most of it away.  She said they could but it would only cost two or three dollars less.  Does yours have an expiration date?  I'm not receiving email notifications so I will have to keep checking for responses.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that my prescription also contains lidocaine so it stings right at application.  Here's what is on the script; Lido/Estrad-Petro 5%/0.01%. I get 2 refills expires 6/01/19. My directions say to apply a dime amount twice daily to vulvar region 

• Posted

I wonder why yours has such a long expiration date.  I called three other compounding pharmacies in my state and they all said it expires in 3 to 6 months.  I called my pharmacy and told them that and they said their compound has not been tested for strength and how long it lasts.  She said originally they had an expiration date of 3 months and now they legally have to date the expiration for 1 month.  I am going to ask my doctor how long a prescription should last.  I wouldn't think he would prescribe 16 grams for only one month if I use it externally and after 2 weeks, a pea size amount 2 to 3 times per week.  I think this pharmacy is a rip off so patients have to fill their prescriptions every month.

• Posted

My prescription is external use only.  Are you in the US?  Maybe every state has a particular rule to follow.  
    • Posted

I would guess the pharmacy is putting an early date on the medication to protect themselves as they haven't done the actual testing. Probably doesn't expire that soon. Would guess your doc will say the same. 

• Posted

Yes, I am in the US.  I will ask the dr. who prescribed it.
    • Posted

I called another branch of the same pharmacy and they said they used to say 3 months and due to them not doing the testing the FDA said to make it expire in one month.
  • Posted

Hello Lorrie

I am here.  I’m just waiting to hear how you progress with compound.  If you have Atrophic Vaginitis it will take some time to feel normal again.  It took several weeks for me to feel normal again.  Keep us posted and check in with your doctor if you need to.

• Posted

Wendy,

It seems I have a bad day every other day.  Today, I'm not feeling the burning but it's early yet.  It usually hits in the evening.  Also, I have a stye coming out on my eye and I have such pain from that this compound is on the back burner.

• Posted

After reading this, I wonder if you could just apply lidocaine by itself? You can buy lidocaine without a prescription. Next time, I have an appt. with my doctor, I am going to ask. Just a thought not a recommendation.
    • Posted

I have an rx for hydrocortisone/lidocaine and it burns.  I don't know if it's one or the other or both.

• Posted

My experience with lidocaine is that it's a quick, short lasting  help for burning.  It doesn't take care of depleted estrogen that is the root of the AV problem. 

• Posted

Yes Patricia

That is right...the depleted estrogen is the root of the problem of Atrophic Vaginitis.  I did not feel normal again until the Estrace cream and then changed to the low dose Vagifem.  I am dot familiar with the compound creams.

Wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.