Started effexor three days ago ,need some help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ,I have over the years tried several antidepressants .two years ago I tried effexor but had to stop because of insomnia .I now decided to try it again.

I am.on day three and decided to only take half the 38.5mg tablets because I know I'm very sensitive to medication.

I feel high but tired at the same time .pins and needles in my body and jaw clenching .

Do you think it will go away ?also no appetite and nausea .

Hopefully it will help my gad and ibs d

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am on venlafaxine, 375mg.

It can take a few weeks for your body to get used to it so hopefully you will find the unwanted side effects will lessen over time - this is what I found with it.

It does have a tendency to affect sleep because it is a non sedating anti depressant. I have suffered with insomnia since starting on it. I now take zopiclone at night to help with sleep.

Good luck

• Posted

Don't wanna use sleeping pills ,as I over used them in the past . I will try some melatonin .thanks

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner - I note that like me you are taking zopiclone along with Venlafaxine - I've recently had experience with this combination and I do urge you to be careful! I'm on 150mg per day Venlafaxine, been on this now for about 7 - 8 weeks after three weeks on a starter dose of 70mg per day. I've used zopiclone before, and asked my doctor at the start of the treatment for depression and anxiety about zopiclone to help me sleep. I was finding that half a 7.5mg tablet was enough for a good night's sleep. My doctor advised half a tablet every other night, I couldn't manage on that so was taking half every night.

About two weeks ago things weren't improving, I was getting bad headaches, and i decided to cut down on the zopiclone and went to one quarter of a 7.5mg tablet every night. The results were dramatic, an immediate improvement in mood, much lessened anxiety, and I still sleep like a top! This has maintained now with steady improvement for about ten days.

This may not work for you, of course, it seems everyone's reaction to these drugs is different, and I don't know what strength zopiclone you're taking, but I do urge you to try reducing it, in the hope it helps you as much as it has seemed to help me!

Good luck and take care,

Mike

• Posted

Thanks Mike

I'm currently on 375mg venlafaxine and psychiatrist has told me to take a double dose of zopiclone (so 15mg) as the single dose did nothing. I'm trying to resist using benzodiazepines which is what they are suggesting now.

• Posted

Hi there Alkylien. I read in a different forum that you shud take these meds in the morning. Cant remember why but it has something to do with sleep. Perhaps you should try this. Dont advise you to do anything different than what the Dr told you in the way to take the dosage of ur meds. Good luck
    • Posted

I take it with breakfast .I do fall asleep but I wake up a couple of hours later unfortunatly. Time will tell
  • Posted

Hi there Alkylien. That waking up shud pass. It did for me. Hang in there and good luck
    • Posted

Thanks ,I am only taking half a 38mg pill and feel wired .also my belly makes word noises guess the pill is throwing my digestive system out of whack.lets hope

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.