Started gabapentin. Is it addicting?

Posted , 5 users are following.

MY DR PRESCRIBED GABAPENTIN FOR MY LEG PAIN AT NIGHT. IT DID HELP BUT I DO NOT WANT TO GET ADDICTED TO IT. ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was on Gabapentin for 14nths. On it I suffered 14 of the 35 terrible side effects the worst was blurry vision and I thought I was going blind. I was only taking 200 mg a day. Im gratefull to be off it 5 mnths now and will never go on it again.

Had to be monitored by dr getting off it. it's highly addictive. The more you take the more you want.

hope my sharing helps.

• Posted

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I JUST FEEL SO LOST ON ALL THIS MEDICATION STUFF. I ALREADY TAKE KLONIPIN THAT I CANNOT GET OFF OF. NO SIDE EFFECTS, JUST HATE TO BE DEPENDENT ON IT. SO I REALLY DID NOT WANT TO BE DEPENDENT ON ANOTHER MED. YOU HAVE HELPED ME MAKE MY DECISION NOT TO TAKE IT. HAVE ONLY BEEN ON IT TWO WEEKS BUT IT JUST DID NOT FEEL RIGHT.

• Posted

i was on 1200mg of gabapentin every day for 6 months. I suspected it made me tired, so I dropped down to 600mg in one day. Two weeks later I was completely off the medication with no side effects what so ever.

I never ever felt like I needed this drug or relied on it and it was very easy to stop taking, but everyone is different

• Posted

Technically, it's not addictive, but one can become dependent on it. MB61 was extremely lucky to not have problems with the way he/she dropped and then stopped taking the drug. There are warnings on the sheet and the bottle to NOT stop suddenly as there can be very serious side effects. The way it reacts on the brain, problems can last for days or weeks as you taper (the preferred term when you decrease the gab). Often there are side effects, which vary, but can either start in a few days, or weeks later. Often, the problems you have when you go on it, come back as you come down off it.

I follow guidelines from groups I trust (doctors often believe there are no side effects or withdrawal, they're wrong) which is 10% or less over 4 weeks or longer. I drop 100 mg every 8 weeks. I'm not sure what leg pain you have, if it's small nerve diabetic neuropathy, it's about 50% or less effective. For many of us, the problems from the drug are worse than the original issue. Taking this with Klonipin can be very problematic, so go slowly when you get off. What dose are you one now?

For Marie, yes, blurred vision is a common side effect, it's very frustrating and scary. Along with the depression, dizziness, confusion, memory loss, insomnia, weight gain, anger, crying jags, etc. etc.

• Posted

hi, it can be addictive in that it changes brain chemicals, so you do not just stop it but wean off it to allow your brain the start making the chemicals again. I was only on it 80 days with the highest dose of 900 mg a day. Iwas only on 900 mg for 12 days and reduced gradually cutting 100 mg every 4/5 days. I felt a little nauseous on a couple of occassions but, nothing else. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.