Started getting strange headaches.. Please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Some background info:

I'm a 21 year old male, in good health apart from suffering from a anxiety and IBS for a while. I have been on 20mg citalopram for about a month now. 

So the past four or so days I've been getting headaches every day. They are quite random in nature and are always very mild pain wise, just mostly an annoyance. Sometimes they will last a while and will travel round my head, other times it will literally be a pain somewhere in my head for like a second. They seem to trigger from poor lighting and a bright TV or bright lights etc. I'm having to squint a lot because of this. I had an eye exam last week and my eyes are fine apparently. Paracetamol seems to get rid of them and eating food seems to as well sometimes? But then they may randomly come back later. 

I was wondering whether they are a side effect of the citalopram as I never really got headaches before these four or so days (obviously the odd one here and there, but nothing like this) 

Obviously as an anxiety sufferer these are quite worrying for me, so what do you guys think? Some reassurance would be amazing for me. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Bless you I'm the same know exactly how u feel wana talk?
    • Posted

Hi jack. If you want to talk message me. I am experienced with these headaches had em over a year now...get me down at times but have to remain positive. 07964976745
  • Posted

Hi jack, having anxiety makes things worse (trust me I've been their) so try not to focus on it too much. Poor lighting (in some supermarkets I get migraines due to the lighting) it does say side effects of the medicine that are very common are headaches so it might just be that. Try not to worry smile
    • Posted

Thanks for that reassuring reply. It means  a lot. So you think I shouldn't worry and it's nothing serious? II've suffered from anxiety for a while but never really got headaches from it. Mostly just chest and stomach issues.

I'm gonna try ween off the citalopram and see if that helps. 

Thanks again smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.