Started mirtazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

For depression I have been taking mirtazapine for over a week at 15mg now had 30mg last night and did not sleep well.

I tried citalopram for 3 weeks and could not tolerate the side effects.

The side effects from mirtazapine that have been troubling for me are no emotions and embarrassingly premature ejaculation : (.. could that be from discontinuing the citalopram?

I also felt like an emotionless robot on the cit and it's making me have more suicidal thoughts ..i. hate having to take these drugs and just wish I could be normal

Thanks

Chris

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey Chris I can totally understand your pain... I hate taking drugs as well as u say I think that's quite a common saying we all so want to feel normal... I was on citalopram years ago and made me suicidal therefore its now in my medical notes that I don't get this drug in future.. I was put on mirt 30 and I got better... was well for 8 years and got back to normal... unfortunately due to life circumstances I became unwell again.... cld not leave house at Christmas.... back on meds ... counseling and now back at work in high spirits ... this drug for me personally works... I had side effects for 4 weeks and did question is it making me worse but I hung on hi in.. now completed week 7 and I am now as u say starting to gt that normality back... I'm eating sleeping and the anxiety has gone done significantly ....I think that ur side effects cld b from switching from various meds as I think sometimes the poor brain does not know wheth.er it's coming or going.. I think once u have one out ur system and the other has settled in will u start to feel better unfortunately as long as it's not to bad we have to try and ride the storm for a few weeks and I know it's bloody hard... gd luck ...
  • Posted

Thanks Jacqueline

I'm just seriously stressed more with these drugs

I'm due to go on holiday with friends May 14th and I'm worried I wont improve. A lot of them will be drinking alcohol and I'll be trying to minimise it. I hope I'm not so much a zombie by then, I just find it hard to connect with anyone or anything. Sleeping at the moment is the only thing I enjoy.

I feel sad and angry inside but physically unable to cry, its kind of like a boiling pot with lid held down.

Stuff that I would normally find funny I do not laugh at. When I was depressed there was still windows of emotion but now nothing, I also found this with the cit. All the professionals I have spoken to insist pills do not numb your emotions .. I beg to differ.

I took paroxetine on and off for 10 years and although i felt happy , i was never sad when it was appropriate. The lack of empathy also cost me a relationship with my soulmate : (

When I come off the paroxetine unresolved emotions returned and I got really distressed and assumed it was depression returning. Now I wish I could have just tried to sit it out.

I know I cant go back in time but thats all i think about.

Thank for reading my moan!!

Chris

• Posted

Are you on any other meds Jacqueline?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Chris

Know exactly where your coming from, as our emotions make us who we are. To me there is no doubt the drug does take away the emotion side of things to an extent, but this seems much more prevalent at the start of the drugs as we are quite low, which is why we are taking them I guess. If we can hang in there for a while things will hopefully improve, and start to become yourself again.

I am, or like to think, a sensitive person ( my wife may disagree!) So I too was worried it may strip away who I really am, but, when you are depressed, your not who you really are anyway, so guess you need a kick start.

I am just on my fifth day of mirt, and hate taking drugs, and am having side effects, but not too bad, but can feel a very slight improvement in mood, so stick with it if you can.

I understand very much what it is like to lose someone close

• Posted

Thanks Mark

What dosage are you on?

I was really into lifting weights last year but the depression since Xmas has robbed me of some great fitness. I was so happy, confident and in great shape.

I hope to feel some energy as my depression lifts. The fat gain with this drug is a little worrying, I'm sure if I feel motivation again I can tackle it.

The reason the emotion thing troubles me so much is that I worry I'll never find a partner, I'm not bad lucking or anything but I'm just worried I wont be able to connect with anyone on an emotional level. The embarrassing sex side effects I mentioned earlier are also troubling me.

My doc is pretty useless and whenever i see a different doc they contradict each other. Whenever I complain of a side effect they say We'll just try another med and see what happens.

I'm considering seeing a psychiatrist if the emotional thing doesnt improve.

When people are off work and suffering from anhedonia (lack of pleasure/interest) what do they do to pass the time?? All i seem to do is browse forums about depression and medication all day!! I go to the shops, try playing ps3 , weights etc but i just constantly ruminate and worry while I'm doing it .

I'm going insane

Chris

• Posted

I am on 15g.

I know what you mean bout ruminate, yes I do that all the time. I have had depression for many years and refused to take meds, but it has come to the time I had to do something. Lost so much, job, friends, etc, but try and stick with meds if you can, which is easier said than done, as you need to give them time to work, and if keep going from one to other without giving them chance, you never find out if they would have worked. I am giving myself two months to hopefully see improvement, and if I can do that anyone can as I am quite impatient shall we say lol.

Know what you mean bout doctors, it can be so easy fir them just write a prescription and then it's "next please" they are not the one living with the problem, but dint concern yourself with that, just concentrate on you, and people close.

One good thing for me on the meds, is having gone to the gym fir first time since started meds, I could quite easily reach my targets, which is strange, as struggled before. Maybe a sign mental attitude is slowly improving. Stick with it.

And from what I believe, the LOWER the dose if mirt the bigger the sedation. So if you have increased the dose it may be reason why not sleeping, everybody is different though

• Posted

Thanks Mark.

Ah sleep is the only thing I've enjoyed the last 2 weeks : (

I just can't imagine ever feeling good again. I hope I am wrong.

Chris

• Posted

You will be wrong Chris! But that's a good wrong. Hang in there things WILL turn round for the better
  • Posted

I hope I am Mark. Good luck to you mate
  • Posted

No Chris I'm only on 30 mirt but my mood has significantly got better and sleeping great... I personally think this is one of the best antidepressants around ...
  • Posted

Thanks Jacqueline , its good to hear positive things after you read so many inevitable horror stories online. If i had great results I'd just get on with enjoying my life probably and not go online. So I appreciate your time.

I will try to and do the same when i get better and support other people on here

Do you feel motivated now that you are more stable?

I worry I'll lose my fitness and healthy eating habits simply because i cant be bothered.

Can you feel emotions? I dont want to be an uncaring boring robot

Thanks

Chris

• Posted

Ye I am still recovering and it's still early but I do think I'm back on track... feeling motivated back out running and back at my work... I used to describe my emotions as the world going on as usual and I was only looking on I was not part of the world that was how I felt very isolated cld not be bother ed what was the point... but u will gt there trust me... don't gt me wrong I still have rubbish days but so does everyone so I try and not dwell on it... good luck Chris kp going as we have to....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.