Started Mirtazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have recently had a bit of a breakdown following the end of a relationship. I initially started taking Fluoxetine but I was having trouble sleeping , literally couldn’t sleep at all for 7 days. I was lying in bed aware of my heartbeat thudding.

I stopped taking Fluoxetine for a few days and was slowly beginning to sleep but the tears came back and was an emotional mess again.

I have just started on Mirtazapine. It’s only been a few days but I am really worried about the side effects. They definitely help me sleep but I am a complete Zombie during the daytime. I am not “with it” at all. There is no way I can drive or go to work like this. The last few days have felt like a drugged blur. 

Does it take long to get used to Mirtazapine and feel normal? 

I took Fluoxetine previously for many years without any significant side effects and am thinking maybe I gave up on these too quickly or maybe a different SSRI would be better.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Genevieve so sorry to here you are at such a low ebb. I to tried fluoxetine but had an awful reaction to them. Felt the same as you. I then went on mirtazapine which helped with the sleeping but I felt in a bubble all the time. I was on 7.5mg for around 3 1/2 years. I have currently weaned myself off them and suffering really bad withdrawal symptoms. I don’t know what I would do without the people on this forum. Hope you will soon feel a little more yourself. 
    • Posted

Hi Sue, thanks for your response. Did the feeling of being “in a bubble” ever get any better once you got used to Mirtazapine? 

I’ve only been on them a few days and I can’t concentrate at all. 

Not sure if I should stick it out or go back to the docs this week. I can’t go to work with this “blurry” feeling. 

• Posted

If I’m honest love no it didn’t. I just stayed on it because it helped with sleep. I work and am up at 5 in the morning, I had to drop my dose to 3.25mg cos I was struggling. I always felt like I was in a fog that’s why i wanted off it. I just didn’t feel human.  If I’d known about the withdrawal effects I wouldn’t have ever taken it. I think I may have just taken a sleeping tablet first. Good luck with whatever you decide. X
  • Posted

Hi Genevieve, 

I have been taking 15mg of Mirtazapibe for the last 10 days, previously I was on 20mg of Fluoxetine a day. I had about a 6 week break from taking any meds in between taking the fluoxetine and mirtazapine where I felt absolutely fine, In that time I still weren’t getting Sleep tho (fluoxetine didn’t help with my sleep either). Since taking Mirtazapine, I too have felt like I’m in zombie like state. They have helped me Sleep from the get go, but I am still trying to get used  Mirtazapine. I feel extremely foggy everyday etc

I’m going to see how I feel in the next 10days Of taking These meds as it took me 3 weeks to get used fluoxetine when I first started taking them so I’m hoping they start to level me out abit.

Any way i hope things get better for you and I hope the Mirtazapine work for you . Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.