Started Naltrexone

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I took my first pill yesterday (I'm to take 50mg every day). Ive slept almost the entire time since I took it! Luckily Ive got this week off work but think I will only take half now at least at first!

3 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

DaisyJo,

It seems your doctor didn't tell you how to begin.... Also, there should've been a leaflet with your tablets (the patient information leaflet) that explains that you should take half a tablet the first couple of times to allow your body to adjust. As with any medications, there can be a few minor side effect issues, and taking half a tablet the first couple of times will allow you to adjust to it and keep any side effects to an absolute minimum.

So, you can drop to half a dose for the next couple of times, but to be honest now you have experienced the full dose, then the first time is always the worst and you can probably easily stay with the full tablet now.

Eat first, and drink plenty of water until you have adjusted.

• Posted

hi thanks for your reply. I was prescribed Naltrexone at an addiction unit. I was told to take half a tablet half an hour before my appointment with him which I did. I walked down and felt a bit spaced out but OK. I had lunch directly before taking it as I thought this would be best. He told me to take the other half when I got home. So I did at 3:15. Then I HAD to lie down. I got up for a bit later and watched a film and nibbled at my tea not very hungry. Then back to bed till I woke up at midday. Still not very hungry. Not like me! My instincts tell me to start with a half tablet for a few days. I was also told to take on an EMPTY stomach. Again my instincts are against this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.