Started on 10 mg for 2 weeks and then went to 20 Mt for 2 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Now my doctor is upping my dose to 30 mg and I am really nervous about going up. I have been nauseous when I went up on the dose and

When I when I first started it. I also have other side effects so I am really worried. Anybody done that that can give me some advice? Also I have been getting heartburn pretty bad since I started this medicine. Or could that be from the anxiety? Please help!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Seems to me that the dosage increases are awfully close together. I'm just basing this on the fact that my doc told me to give each dosage at least 4 to 6 weeks before the next increase to give my system time to adjust and to see how I reacted to each dosage so we could tell when my optimal dosage was acheived. I started on 10mg. then slowly increased from there. I have been on the med since mid-January.

• Posted

Did you find the 10mg worked for you at all in terms of helping anxiety etc? I was on 20mg for 5 days but couldn't sleep and was constantly drowsy so the last 2 days I've gone down to 10mg , but im worried tgat dose is to low and wont help my anxiety.

• Posted

It helped some but this medication is different from others as it takes a while for it to begin working fully...about 6 weeks. Basically I was on the 10mg. while I was getting used to the drug and to help minimize side effects. At about the 5 week point I could feel that although it was working it wasn't quite enough so that was when my doctor had me to start upping the dosage...slowly to help minimize side effects and to give each dosage time to kick in so we could tell when I had reached my ideal dosage. Also I can't stress enough that when you keep fiddling with the dosage like that every few days it is like going back to square one. Each dosage change needs to be given time to work before making any adjustments. As for side effects the worst of them for me anyway usually last anywhere from 10 days to 2 weeks with each dosage change.

• Posted

Thanks. It was the doc who has recommended I go down to 10mg and see how I get on with that .
    • Posted

You might do well on that dosage as different people respond differently to medication. Just know that it isn't going to work overnight and you may have a rough time at first especially the first couple of weeks. Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier that for most people Citalopram makes anxiety worse in the beginning until your system becomes adjusted to the medication.

• Posted

Gosh I must admit my anxiety has gone through the roof! Im worrying about everything!
    • Posted

A common side effect of the medication.

If you go back through some of the earlier posts and look for someone named Fernando I think he may be able to offer you some insight. I correspond with him via private messages from time to time offering him encouragement and so forth and from what I'm seeing here your situations as far as the meds and anxiety are very similar. I would urge you to talk to him and see what insights he might be able to offer and if you need someone to give you a little extra encouragement etc. feel free to private message me.

• Posted

Hopefully the side effects are out of your system and increasing should not send you through all that again. The only way to go is to try it and see what happens. It just takes time to settle. Doing some research online can really help you understand what is happening and why

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.