Started on Escitalopram would like to know others experiences

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I am a mid forties males and my Dr recently put me onto Ecitalopram after some discussions about my mental health.   Basically I feel depressed and anxious a lot of the time and have done for most of my life.   I have been aware of this and work very hard to stay fit, healthy and avoid things that can aggrivate my condition.    But I am basically tired of living like this and so have decided to try medication.

I am 5 days in taking 10mg and have had mixed results, day one felt nothing, day 2-3 felt very good, doing my chores and work became easier than I can remember, felt up beat, like getting out and about (unusual for me), day 4 onwards I have felt foggy, tired and seem to be spend a lot of time staring at nothing.   Sleep has been a big problem for me evenbefore taking the medication.

Are these symptoms similar to others?   What can I expect going forward?    A lot of people seem to say that it gets better after a couple of weaks?     I am just a little lost at the moment and wonder at what point do I say no, this is not working for me.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

It does get better and you will have a much better quality of life but it will take several weeks before this happens, In my case it took weeks but I am now a well balanced person with a zest for life.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

OK, So its been 2.5 weeks and things seem to have settled down.   I did experience sweating, increased heartrate, sleep problems and anxiety but things seem to have disapated.     I still feel a little foggy but don't seem to have the heavy feeling so much any more.    I am not going to say I am so much happy but I am not as down as I was.     I feel like I am calmer and a little more centred. I do feel though that with my creative work I am slightly blunted, like my lateral thinking is reduced but its pretty hard to quantify these things I guess.

My doctor talked of putting me onto 20mg in a month (he said I am a reasonably big guy and probably should) but I don't think I will,   I am happy to just not be unhappy, I don't like to take medications so a low dosage is the next best thing.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I took a 20mg yesterday. My first time and I thought I was going to die. I got really anxious my head was spinning my heart was racing and I was so tired. I woke up last night around 11pm and my back felt like it was on fire. How long will these side effects last?
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up