Started Orlistat today and confused

Posted , 113 users are following.

Hi! I have just started Orlistat today and have been trying to find a sample plan or menu for the last couple of weeks without success. I know that I shouldn't have anything that is more than 5g fat per 100g however when it comes to exactly what to eat I don't have a clue, I normally eat Quorn, Turkey, Chicken, and fish and eat potatoes, rice, pasta and quinoa. Do I eat like normal but watching my portion size.

I am a huge crisp, chocolate, and biscuit person so would also appreciate help on healthier snacks. I had my first gym session this morning first of many, need to lose 5 stone 11lbs to be my goal weight of 10stone 10lbs. I would like to be half way there on actually there in 6 months would love if it was faster but don't want to put pressure on myself.

3 likes, 199 replies

199 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi , Dee76, I have just got oralist from my GP today as well and I am unsure of what to eat as well, 

i have severe asthma and fibromyalgia as well as other health issues I also on 24/7oxygen so I'm not very mobile and as well as over eating my medication plays a big part in my weight problems but I need the medication, sorry I do tend to digress a lot , 

i am also looking for help just to get started, I love bread and crisps but not to fussy about chocolate, i do tend to eat a lot through the night when I can't sleep, other than that I have 4 meals a day normally at the time I'm due my medication, I eat a lot of fruit and veg, I make a lot of soup but love my bread,

i hope we can maybe share ideas and see how others plan their meals

good luck 

loraine, 

• Posted

Hi Loraine,

Sorry to say but I guess you better to get used to the idea of dropping all your favourite foods. Orlistat basically teaches you a lesson in eating healthily by making you poop a lot the more fat you eat, i.e. crisps anf bread does not give you a balanced diet. It's just plain unhealthy carbs. Salad, fruit, veg, fish, skinless chicken and turkey. And no coke etc. There are loads of suggestions on this page. I understand you can't exercise line a healthy person and it'll take you a while to get a tiny bit fitter but just having a foot cycler whilst sitting down or lifting bottled water what sitting. All burns calories, speeds up your metabolism and you will see the effects after some time. Like with anything the challenge is to stick with it to see results. I know how hard it is, especially when ur not very mobile. It's very tempting to grab a snack or sweet when you're bored. I really hope not disheartened and try your best. Do not rely on drugs too much when changing your lifestyle is part of the deal. Good luck and determination!

Best wishes, Claudia

• Posted

Hi Claudia , thank you so much for replying to my post, I have a soup maker that my daughter bought me for Christmas this is really good for me,it's quick and easy soup in 25 min with minimal preparation, it stopping eating so much bread with it ,lol,

it will take me a little while to get a proper meal plan sorted out, I have been trying different low fat and dairy free things , I read about oralist on a health page a few months ago but my gp was unable to give me it until I got rid of my chest infection, so yesterday I was so excited that she had given me it to try, I was straight on google to find helpful information about meals , 

i do my grocery shopping online so I'm looking for ideas so I order the right things, 

thank you 

Loraine 

• Posted

I am a big chocolate and crisps eater too but I haven't had chocolate for nearly 4 weeks and I have the odd pack of crisps now and then but I've been eating fruit more

• Posted

Hi I no it's been 5 years since you posted on here but was wondering if ketone and orlistat worked? 🙈

Cheers Sam xx

• Posted

Any diet plans for Xenical? Please forward to me so confusedĀ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.