Started (pentasa suppositories 1g) Today, how long before i can use toilet?

Posted , 3 users are following.

have inserted my first pentasa suppositories, its been about 30 minutes, But im busting for a number 2! Does anyone know how long pentasa needs to dissolve ?

Can not find a answer online, all suppositories differ in time from 15 minutes UPTO 8 hours! sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HI Thomas. If you gotta go you gotta go! 

I was told to use them last thing at night then the suppository can sit in place & dissolve. Hope they’ve given you finger stall( like cut off end of rubber glove) to help you insert it as far as you comfortably can. Don’t not use Vaseline or anything to help insert.  You will see & pass black coloured  dissolved suppository in with poo as the time goes on. Don’t know how long you’ve been told to use them for? Any bleeding should settle down. Hope this helps 

• Posted

I had taken it at 2:30 today, smile is it okay to take my next tomorrow at night time smile ? cause that be 33 hours between todays and tomorrow? 

Yes i know all other information , just wanted to see how long it takes to dissolve smile

Always study as much information on what i take, but couldnt come across dissolve times.

• Posted

Hi Thomas  

Just insert them every day before you go to bed at night. If you Very quickly run the suppository under the tap to make it wet it will also be easier to insert right up inside.  Once it’s in place inside you it will start to soften & break up. The medication should then soothe the inflammation. You may see the blackish meds when you go to the loo but it’s important to continue using them regularly each night. If you get any adverse reactions ie burning after putting them in or still passing blood then go back to Doctors. So in answer to your question unless told otherwise you should be using them every day. Bedtime is best as you’re resting, hopefully not going to the loo & letting the suppositories melt in place & take away inflammation . So roughly every 24 hours give or take a few hours depending on whether you go bed the same time every day.  

• Posted

So its fine to take it at night ? even though it be a 33 hour gap, cause i didnt know when i taken it midday yesterday smile?

I was going to the toilet around 5-6 times a day. mostly gas and watery, But i kid you not since i plugged that suppository yesterday, i havent been to the toilet, i can fart without worry now. I feel a new man from taking it once!!!  No pain, NOTHING! :D so happy

Just feed back for people on the trouble history i had with Asacol and pentasa 

Asacol was passing through me for months in my stool!

And pentasa grains didnt seem to be reaching my big colon!

So i decided to try suppositories , which seem to be hitting the spot from the day i taken it :D :D :D

• Posted

Hi Thomas every nigh-time best. 

Just start when you can. 

• Posted

Yesterday once i taken my first ever suppository, it hit me fast! I felt completely fine up until 22 hours later! I completely went back to stage 1 sad

There seems to be that 2 hour of hell before i take my next one the following day rolleyes !

Be good if i could take 1.5g every 24 hours.  That 0.5 gram could be a mid day thing to not bring symptoms back.

Ill see my doctor this week.

• Posted

Hi Thomas 

It takes few days or weeks to settle things down, everyone is different. 

Just follow your doctors advice and if does not improve tell him. Enema is also good and works wonders. 

Good luck mate always be positive you will get better but when you do just watch what you eat and some foods can trigger so eliminate them from your diet but once you better you can slowly introduce them but also discuss with your doctor about your eating habits.

👍

• Posted

im having a issue, people say use before bed. But around bed time is when my bowel is more active, i some times  go through the night, 

So is it best to do it in the morning while my colon is not active? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.