Started PT today -- Fingers crossed that it works!

Posted , 4 users are following.

So today, I started PT. I'm not very fond of the therapist, at least as of right now...we'll see after a few visits, and if I'm still not fond of her, I'll ask to switch, or to have the bulk of my appts with my favorite PTA.

Today was mostly an eval in which she saw the very poor state of my ankle...its very, very limited ROM, its weakness etc. She did some manual or manipulative massage or whatever which was extremely uncomfortable, bordering on painful at times. Thank God she did the ultrasound at the end!! Gave me the oh so common "ABC" homework and said she wants me to come in twice a week. I can do that. 

I'm really hoping that PT helps/works, because if it doesn't, I may be looking at a second surgery, and I'm only 25! (First one was at 16).

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dear, I had a wonderful pt. Then he went away for vacation. They sent me someone who was not trained. I believe he completely rebroke my ankle.

He twisted everything and it hurt a lot.

If you need a surgery go to healthgrades*com and review the doctors.

I have found so much encouragement in this website. You will heal😇

• Posted

Thank you. Like I said, I'll give this PT a shot because I think unless they;re a major screw up everyone should be given a chance.

If I do end up needing surgery again, I'll go to the same surgeon that did my first surgery. I think she did a great job! Sure my ankle was never the same, but whose is after surgery? It because strong enough for me to do all my activities again. I did lose a bit of ROM which meant no more pointe for me, but that's alright, and expected as well.

• Posted

Dear, no matter what happened in the past, you will have a lot of people helping you out! It is scary, for sure but it can be overwhelming. I'm in so much pain that I would scream, but I have my daughter and neighbors! If I was in the countryside...

• Posted

Sorry, what? Not trying to be rude, but I have no idea how your reply relates to this post at all.
  • Posted

Hey I am 26 i broke my ankle 12 weeks ago i had plates and screws in it ..At the beginning i had a hard time i was goin crazy about any little thing..but the following week after surgery i took my boot off and started moving my ankle but wen i got alot of pain o stopped ...Pain is goin to come take your meds and push yourself do little excercise at home as well you will not need surgery again. You gotta fight through I didnt have to go to PT BECAUSE I DID EVERYTHING ON MY OWN I WALKED FOUR MILES YESTURDAY.... KEEP PUSHING AND GOOD LUCK
    • Posted

It's not that simple. If PT cured things, I wouldn't have needed surgery in the first place! And sorry to say, but it was a very stupid decision to not go to PT. They help you do things correctly and at the right pace. At this point in time, the goal is to get my ankle moving which it barely does despite my hardest effort...but I want to do it correctly and safely, because if I don't, I probably will end up needing surgery because the chances of re-injury are too high.

• Posted

Physio can be very direct and seem like the exercises are silly and ineffectual but eventually it will pay off. The friendly physio isn't always the best one. One that pushes you will benefit you more.

• Posted

I don't need friendly necessarily, but I don't want cold. I want someone with a good demeanor. And someone with a good demeanor and bedside manner can still push you. My favorite PT (I've been around this rodeo many times) and I used to joke that she liked to torture me.

Unfortunately, I know exactly how PT works, and I know that it will very often cause pain, but it [usually] works.

• Posted

So, third session today. I've decided she's alright and will do. Like the last session, we did the same thing -- ultrasound first, some movement exercises and then TENS. After both of those, literally NO pain. Something I hadn't experienced in months!!! She said next time we'll get into more strengthening stuff now that my ankle is actually moving somewhat okay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.