Started taking propranolol

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I have bad anxiety and I've been taking sertraline (Zoloft) for 2 months and was taken off now for the last 2 weeks I've been using Prozac it certainly hasn't started working yet either. I've been given/requested propranolol I was told to take one in the morning. Simply isn't enough I'm a big guy but just want the sweats and racing heart to stop and the adrenaline making me feel fearful all the time.

I've so far taken 160 mg in total today 80 in am and 80 at 1700 I think the 80 that I've just taken is enough to get fresh cloths on and go for a meal and not embarrass myself. I know this way isn't right just tried so many different ways including just taking handfuls just to go see my inlaws My doctor doesn't seem to understand anxiety. Who can unless they have had it though? So am I taking to much? Is cons beating pros at this dosage for anxiety. Any help would be amazing.

Ps if propranolol works I'll probably give up SSRIs

I'm in a night mare situation as I work off shore so can only go to the doctor every 3 months and it's a new doctor or the previous one has forgot about me. This site is really my only hope.

Thank you so much for any reply in advance

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh sorry to hear about that Chris,

Well im a very slim girl and after trying sertraline for 2 days I ended up in AE.. So stopped everything! Too many bad horrible scary side effects!!!! Im doung ok but still have to go back to work after 3 months off.. Wortied.. You need to request the same doctor, fond someone whos interested in helping? I saw a psychiatrist, just once but it helped a lot, that might be better than a GP.. Depression is too specific for them..

• Posted

Hi Stepahanie,reading your post I may have something you can try that I have found has helped me in the last week or so. I went through a bad spell at the start of the year with anxiety/depression & was prescribed Sertraline. Although I can say it helped me a little,the side affects that came with it weren't worth it in the long run so I tapered off it after 5months.i found myself better after making some changes in my life. Until quite recently I was doing good but an unfortunate event brought the dark clouds above my head again. I did some online research & came across discussions about a supplement called 5HTP,so I gave it a go 8days ago & around 4days in I noticed a change in my moods without noticing if that makes sense.im sleeping like a baby every night & waking up feeling completely refreshed,I also started taking magnesium citrate which has helped a lot too.maybe something you can look into if your stuck for options smile
  • Posted

Hi Chris. I've only started on this sute today and never given advice before but i don't think you should be taking so many tablets. The side effects could make you worse. I have been on sertaline for two years and i felt awful to start with but better now. Side effects have mostly gone. I feel for you. I have anxiety but not like you describe. I have phoned MIND. They were a great support. There is also a website ANXIETY UK. I do box breathing and slow down everything by looking at five things and describing them to myself then listen to 5 things then touch. Then you're meant to repeat. This has helped me. You can get a box breathing ap. Maybe you should find a more suportive doctor. Hope you feel better.
  • Posted

Alright Chris. If your a bit worried about going down the anti-depressant road I can maybe point you in the right direction of something I have tried recently that has sorted me out big time. I was on Sertraline for a while at the start of the year but the side affects were more of a burden than they were worth. I'm not saying give up the ADs as you should really stick with them for a certain period of time but if your looking for something to try..i have been taking 5HTP and after 8 days it has helped me tremendously,calmed me down without me realising! So it's maybe something you can do some research into if your stuck for options. Chin up & keep fighting
    • Posted

Colin, I've tried 5htp and it did nothing for me. I guess it varies with people...
  • Posted

Hi everyone and thanks for the replys.

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to people. My situation hasn't changed at all. I will research 5htp

Problem is my doctor said if this doesn't work I will just be refferd to psychiatristsad

• Posted

A psychiatrist may what's best for you. They have a better understand in this kind of stuff and they will definitely help you find the medication that fits you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.