Started to feel better but now getting worse again.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently had my anti depressants increased due to sudden worsening of my depression. After about a week I noticed an improvement and felt more like myself. However these last few days I've noticed my symptoms are coming back. Is this a sign that the meds are working or not? I do take other medication, propranalol and Cerelle. I've recently had to start cutting down on the propranalol as I started having breathing problems. Been on my new dose about 3 weeks now. Just worried that I won't improve again. Do I just keep trying and see if the meds work? I know it can take a while for your body to adjust. Really hope they do.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

3 weeks is not long it takes sometimes 6 to 8 weeks to get the proper effect from your medication. Just hang in there and consult your provider for any questions. Don't give up I went through the same situation.  

• Posted

Thank you. I know it can take longer. I guess I thought as I was feeling better I couldn't feel worse again. I really fear another relapse. Will try and keep at it x

• Posted

Hello Sarah

I can only echo what Angelo has said. 6-8 weeks is the norm for antidepressants to reach their full effect.

Regards Heartbleed

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I think the symptoms you are getting now is due to the fact that your body is reacting to the increased dose. Remember, that they are the same tablets that you are already on. Your doctor just upped the dose. It will settle down. Grin and bear it if you can. Donna xxx
    • Posted

Thanks, needed some reassurance. I hate this illness. Fine one minute and crap the next. Just want to be normal, whatever that is 😞

• Posted

Hi depression is often one step forward and 2 steps back but this is normal. One day you will feel a lot better and this will stick I am sure.  Take care.  x
    • Posted

Is it normal to be awful during the day and fine in the evening? My feelings keep yoyoing. I can't control them and I hate myself for it. It's hurting my kids and I really can't cope with it anymore. I can't go on like this.

• Posted

It can take up to 6 weeks for meds to get fully into your system and until then it is common to feel worse.  Didn't your doctor tell you this as they normally do.  Give it time and hopefully these meds will work but it can be trial and error as it took me 3 goes to find the ad I am on now (sertraline).

Please don't say you hate yourself as this is a slippery road and it's not your fault.  Just tell yourself you hate th things you are doing because of your illness but not yourself.  There is a subtle difference.  Hold on and have hope as I am sure things will improve.  x

• Posted

I constantly feel worse and I can't do it anymore. I really can't go on. I want to end it all but I'm scared. These feelings control me constantly and it hurts so much to see my family watch me like this. They would be better off without me as all I do is cause pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.